What's new
What's new

Shrink fit tools without a shrink fit machine.

BRIAN.T

Cast Iron
I've been trying to move to shrink fit for some time now, but unfortunately I keep spending money on Lang stuff, which is making it tough for me convince the owner to buy a shrink fit setup.

Anyway I've got a job coming up with a lot of tight clearance issues and long reach nonsense. I'm hoping to get a few shrink fit holders and shrink what I need for this job. It's aluminum, so the tools will last the job.

So does anyone know any legitimate ways, albeit slow or cumbersome, to shrink tools into holders without the machine.

Most likely the best bet to avoid damaging anything would be to send tooling out to a shop with the correct gear get them to mount it and pay a fee for doing it.

see the tooling provider they may do it as well, just send your cutters to them.

I've been trying to move to shrink fit for some time now, but unfortunately I keep spending money on Lang stuff, which is making it tough for me convince the owner to buy a shrink fit setup.

Anyway I've got a job coming up with a lot of tight clearance issues and long reach nonsense. I'm hoping to get a few shrink fit holders and shrink what I need for this job. It's aluminum, so the tools will last the job.

So does anyone know any legitimate ways, albeit slow or cumbersome, to shrink tools into holders without the machine.

Getting tools into a shrink fit holder is easy enough with a MAP gas torch. Just keep the heat even around the tip with full 360 coverage...

Getting tools OUT of a shrink fit holder with a torch, is an entirely different matter and a total nightmare, even when the tool isn't broken. Getting broken tools out is often almost totally unsuccessful without a major set of headaches.

Sounds like your usage requirements are similar to mine when I go for shrink fit.

If you're not concerned about getting the tools out again, then mapp gas torch is quick, easy and painless.

It takes two people really, one to rotate the holder while heating it, one to hold the torch and insert the tool. I place the holder in a large bearing so it spins easy while heating.

Same as you, mine have all been for aluminium, so I haven't had to try to remove any of them yet.

They don't usually require very much heat to expand them enough to get the tool in. I have a couple that are not even discoloured.

I've read in other threads that if using map gas, easiest way to complete task it to put holder in manual lathe and low RPM to assist in getting the best/even heat distribution given the method.

I've read in other threads that if using map gas, easiest way to complete task it to put holder in manual lathe and low RPM to assist in getting the best/even heat distribution given the method.

I've always been afraid of getting it stuck before it is fully in (as has happened to me several times in the past shrinking sleeves on things etc.), so doing it vertically so the tool drops in cleanly has always seems more appealing to me.

I have been using Mini-Ductor with great success. Rolled custom coil for the tools so it slips over the nose of the tool and just heat it up. I have removed end-mills with it without any problems. I keep my tool holder in Lyndex Tool Jaw. I've been wanting to make some custom setup to hold Mini-Ductor but never got to it.

I have been using Mini-Ductor with great success. Rolled custom coil for the tools so it slips over the nose of the tool and just heat it up. I have removed end-mills with it without any problems. I keep my tool holder in Lyndex Tool Jaw. I've been wanting to make some custom setup to hold Mini-Ductor but never got to it.

I've pondered over those things before.

On ebay I can buy a power unit and a holder that takes preformed coils for about £600. I was always worried that they wouldn't have enough power (A typical shrinker is about 4-5KW as best as I can tell), and would just be a waste of money.

If they work ok it would be relatively inexpensive to build a platform for it and even water cool the coil if necessary.

The entire reason I have refused to buy a shrinker machine up til now is that they are horrendously overpriced for what's in them.

Now this is an interesting idea, I can get behind $400. How often do you find yourself switching tools with this thing? Aside from it being slower and slightly more difficult to use then a machine (I assume, but also don't care) do you ever have any issues with it? I'm almost certainly sold. I really appreciate the suggestion!

Now this is an interesting idea, I can get behind $400. How often do you find yourself switching tools with this thing? Aside from it being slower and slightly more difficult to use then a machine (I assume, but also don't care) do you ever have any issues with it? I'm almost certainly sold. I really appreciate the suggestion!

I don't switch tools often, they last forever in aluminum, but I did switch few times and it worked without any issues. If you work fast you can heat holder up to remove the tool and slip new one in without heating holder again. Wear heat resistant gloves though!

Any issues changing tools? Like some other users suggested?

the only issues i've had using a torch with heat shrink is on a small (1/8") endmill. it broke and the shank was inside the bore. ended up destroying the holder. 1/4" and up tools i've had no issues with using a torch.

I use a propane torch for 8mm and smaller. Anything larger I would use the machine.

Good quality shrink tooling like slimline has had no negative effects using a torch. I have 18 yr old shrink tooling that's still perfect.

Mini-Ductor?

3tUnmZ9.jpg

As far as getting stubborn tools out...could you make an air fitting with a pull stud thread, and just apply some air pressure while heating the holder? Pointy end away from face, of course.

As far as getting stubborn tools out...could you make an air fitting with a pull stud thread, and just apply some air pressure while heating the holder? Pointy end away from face, of course.

I always thought a solid idea would be to make a dingus that replaces the pull stud with a spring loaded pushrod that exerts pressure on the end of the busted tool.

Just a curiosity, has anyone here actually used a shrink fit machine? I've used a Haimer, and although probably (ahem) priced out of small shop range, they are fantastic. Multiple heat settings, cooling rings, nice workbench, they are a treat to use. :) They even make gages for setting the depth of the tool, although a homemade one would be fine IMO.

And they heat the toolholder in about 5 seconds, and cool in 30 or so

Back