What's new
What's new

Siemens 840C battery dead - NCK/PLC reload?

Rube-the-newb

Plastic
Hello all,

I'm using my nephew Ruben's account, cause last night I tried to create on and couldn't - that's when he told me he had used my shop e-mail to create an account a while ago on this forum and over on ***zone...

Anyway, a couple of months ago I bought an older Emco-Maier Emcoturn 465 lathe with a Siemens 840C control. All was well, came in on the truck fine, installed Ok and powered up fine. Got it running a job pretty straight off using the on-control programming functions while I was trying to figure out the comm's. Ruben's been running it after classes with that.

Well, just got PCIN loaded and got it wired for comm's... I think. Problem is that I was just getting ready to try it out yesterday to backup the files and such (if it worked) and started the machine up to find out the battery died over the weekend. The Lithium 9V battery was supposed to generate an alarm and give you some warning - so much for that.

Now it tells me the NCK & PLC need to be reloaded... Here's the clencher - the diskette that supposedly had the backup on it won't read at all on my PC's (I'm thinking it may be formatted to the FAT or FAT32 file structure might be why). I may be able to get that figured out, I'm going to scare up an older PC with the older architecture in place and try the diskette.

SO, my question is where do I start. I don't really know what the NCK or PLC reload process is. I've given the Emco Maier office a call and they started a service ticket, but no help yet this morning. Anyway if you know where I should start or what manual contains the destructions on how to reload the NCK and PLC parameters I could really use your help.

Regards,
Jimmy Garza

Hello all,

I'm using my nephew Ruben's account, cause last night I tried to create on and couldn't - that's when he told me he had used my shop e-mail to create an account a while ago on this forum and over on ***zone...

Anyway, a couple of months ago I bought an older Emco-Maier Emcoturn 465 lathe with a Siemens 840C control. All was well, came in on the truck fine, installed Ok and powered up fine. Got it running a job pretty straight off using the on-control programming functions while I was trying to figure out the comm's. Ruben's been running it after classes with that.

Well, just got PCIN loaded and got it wired for comm's... I think. Problem is that I was just getting ready to try it out yesterday to backup the files and such (if it worked) and started the machine up to find out the battery died over the weekend. The Lithium 9V battery was supposed to generate an alarm and give you some warning - so much for that.

Now it tells me the NCK & PLC need to be reloaded... Here's the clencher - the diskette that supposedly had the backup on it won't read at all on my PC's (I'm thinking it may be formatted to the FAT or FAT32 file structure might be why). I may be able to get that figured out, I'm going to scare up an older PC with the older architecture in place and try the diskette.

SO, my question is where do I start. I don't really know what the NCK or PLC reload process is. I've given the Emco Maier office a call and they started a service ticket, but no help yet this morning. Anyway if you know where I should start or what manual contains the destructions on how to reload the NCK and PLC parameters I could really use your help.

Regards,
Jimmy Garza

Hi

You can download the installation manual from http://www.automation.siemens.com/d...IBN.pdf?p=1#page=1&view=FitBH,0&pagemode=none
Have a look in chapter 11.1.7 for instructions for loading data back into the control.
If you are lucky all the data you need is still on the harddrive, and only needs to be loaded to the NC memory.

Best regards
T.H

Here is the procedure our tech used to restore our hyundai lathe with 840c

Siemens 840C System Initialization After Battery Failure

1) Power up system displays Siemens logo on screen
2) Menu select (Hamburger Key)
3) Diagnosis
4) Start-up
5) Enter password 1111 input
6) General Reset Mode
7) Format NCK AWS
8) Press Arrow Up (Left side of Monitor)
9) Machine Data
10) File Functions
11) Select the bottom window (45 degree arrow key swithces upper and lower windows)
and select the machine parameter file per machine type. Ex: (Hit8S)
12) Load from disc
13) Load Start
14) After file transfer complete arrow up two times
15) Gereal reset mode
16) Format NCK AWS
17) PLC General Reset
18) End General Reset
19) Wait until control comes out of general reset mode (if machine does not come out of
reset mode ANW_PROG file may be corrupt, see Corrupt Anw_Prog recovery below)
20) Power Off
21) Power On
22) Home Machine
23) Select Automatic mode
24) Program Select
25) L965
26) Program Select
27) Cycle Start
28) Check turret index to proper location by checking two tools, set axis limitation on
spindle to machine spec max or customer set max for spec jobs.
Menu select
Setting data
Axis limitation
Crossover to highlight lower box
Set G26=4000
Set G92=4000
29) Now machine is ready for normal operation
Corrupt ANW_Prog Removal:
1) Check Anw_Prog by going to : Data I/O, Data Management, PLC (Input), Program
(Input) and view file length (characters) if none, proceed.
2) Highlight the ANW_Prog file and press Delete soft key under monitor.
3) select the similar file in the same window. Ex:(ANW_Prog)
4) Copy to Clipboard
5) Paste from Clipboard
6) Type in the file name Awg_prog as it was written previously
7) Input
8) Set....Power off and complete system initialize procedure above if needed.

I don't know how this differs from Siemens own instructions so try at your own risk

Ken

Thanks guys. That info got me a start, unfortunately I think my control is an older version than what those directions are written for.

When I first had started the control it came up in the "Startup mode general reset" screen:
Service startup screen.jpg

Then when I went into the Delete Machine Data screen there are options to delete the NC and reload, and delete the PLC and reload. I have done that:
NC-PLC reload screen.jpg

Then set the CSB switch back to 0 and restarted the control, and the NC seems to have reloaded - but the PLC fails. I now get alarm 43 ord 1:
After reloading NC-plc.jpg

and there is a red LED on what I assume is the PLC:
PLC error light.jpg

I don't know where to go from here, I can't find in the area of the file storage that is supposed to be containg the TEA files for reload to verify that the on for the PLC is there (TEA2 apparently). I think I'm pretty out of my depth here, lots of layers to this control. I have been able to run it before this happened, but this has really got me lost.

Hi

Take a look in chapter 3.5.3 in the book i linked to earlier, it shows how to read a more detailed error code of the plc.

T.H

OK, followed that.. got more info. Thanks T.H

The alarm shows:
002A 0000 0000 0000 0000

I tried to find the explanation of that in the Diagnostic manual, which doesn't list 002A, but does list 02 under "Error number of interpreter". What that means I have no clue.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm assuming correctly which module is which. From the picture below, I'm assuming th CPU card is the right most, PLC being 2nd & 3rd from right, and couldn't tell you about the rest except the CSB being the one next to the power supply on the left side. Please correct me or fill in details if you can...

840c.jpg

Thanks,
Jimmy

I think it may be alive... Thanks to a member on here that got me steered right. The Siemens directions don't really reflect the correct way to reload the TEA files, once I did it the other way it came up quick. Now I've got to check all the settings and hopefully make a chip again next week - After I fix the major oil leak that has sprung up.

Thanks everyone that offered advice!

Ok, so I spoke too soon... Go figure huh. (insert emoticon of your choosing here - I couldn't find the dunce)

So I got the NCK & PLC reloaded, and the control will boot corrrectly without alarms, the AUX power will enable and most of the machine will align (the turrets align and the X1, X2, Z1, & Z2), but the spindles don't align like normal and there is function to the chuck cylinders. One person mentioned something about having to redefine that stuff, but I can't find that in all the messages I've been sent. Does someone know if there is yet another file to load, or how to reset the parameters for the spindles and associated stuff?

Jimmy

Last edited:
go to mda and do a h1 m99 or h2 m99 (depending on 3jaw or collets) on k1 and k2.
and if you have a barfeeder h4 m99
and you might have to go into i think its settings and change the spindle speed limitations

Bingo, that's got them turning. Now to check the X0 positions and reset all tools, gonna be a long day tomorrow but alteast we're making progress. Thanks pcasanova, I wouldn't have thought of that...

Back