What's new
What's new

Siemens 840D problem. Locked up in middle of tool change

Owl Engineering

Plastic
The control is a Siemens 840D. Machine is a Deckel Maho 103V machining center.

Our machine is locked up in the middle of a tool change and cannot get it cleared. Details below.
Help would be greatly appriciated.

1. We power-up the machine.
2. The control shows a flashing light at the tool change buttons (purple and yellow).
3. When we press the white button to turn on the drives, the tool changer arm swings over into place under the spindle. The prox. switch in the rear lights to show the arm is in place.
4. We can hear the air operated grips activate (the ones that grab the pull stud on a tool holder).
5. The Z axis seems about half way down on top of a tool (all tools are out of the machine now for safety).
6. The machine simply holds in this position and does not move. Air blasting, pull stud puller fingers disengaged, turret in place under the spindle, the spindle not going up or down but is half way in between the tool change.

We have tried pressing the hand button, bring up the tool change screen and press the yellow and purple buttons back and forth which normally will bring the machine back to 0 on the screen (it is stuck on 5 and we cannot get it back to 0).

We can only email a video of the machine and it's problem. Please request the video if you would like to see it: [email protected]

If anyone knows of someone in South Eastern Michigan that could service the machine, please forward their name.

Thanks, Chuck

On my seimans, you just press the button that's flashing, and the tool change completes itself. That's it, and she's back up and running.

My machine is a hardinge though, not sure if that matters. Best of luck.

Hello Dave,

On my seimans, you just press the button that's flashing, and the tool change completes itself. That's it, and she's back up and running.

My machine is a hardinge though, not sure if that matters. Best of luck.

That is what I had done in the past and the tool number on the screen would go to 0 and all would be well. It will not do that now :(

You can see in my video that I tried it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Chuck

That is what I had done in the past and the tool number on the screen would go to 0 and all would be well. It will not do that now :(

You can see in my video that I tried it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Chuck

Well, on my hardinge, there is a hex on the servo motor that drives the tool changer arm. You can shut off the machine, and turn it with a wrench or socket to get the arm in any position you want. I've had to do some maintanence on the arm once and used this method to rotate the arm into certain positions. When done I just rotate it back into its "home" position, and turn the machine back on.

So, maybe with the machine off, you can get the arm back to its starting position, and then re-start the machine?

Back