What's new
What's new

Siemens HMI Keyboard Membrane?

Ox

Diamond
We lost the CYCLE START button today on one machine.
Robbed from Peter, but will need to fix this now.

Anyone know where to git whatever it is that I need to fix this?

Whole piece with the foam structure would be great, or maybe just the plastic membrane.
There isn't any electronics in it, it just seems to keep the Schidt out of the electronics side of the unit.

The actual button seems to click fine.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN2377.jpg
    DSCN2377.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2378.jpg
    DSCN2378.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 41
We lost the CYCLE START button today on one machine.
Robbed from Peter, but will need to fix this now.

Anyone know where to git whatever it is that I need to fix this?

Whole piece with the foam structure would be great, or maybe just the plastic membrane.
There isn't any electronics in it, it just seems to keep the Schidt out of the electronics side of the unit.

The actual button seems to click fine.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Made MDF molds, varnished them, coated them with "release", bought the material as a pourable two-component elastomer. Quarts were enough, Pints , even (it goes off with age..) R&D and even pilot production.

Yah can do all sorts of things in all sorts of "durometer", open-cell, closed-cell, to dense solid from uber-soft shock mounts to HARD plastics for equipment bezels, control wheels and - whatever yah need in the elastomer and plastics "Kingdoms". Not ALL shapes under the sun require a cutting-tool. Well their MOLDS may...

Cheap molds. Really neat stuff! For onesies and fewsies. Only.
NOT cheap, the MATERIAL though. ... and that was back around 1974.

How about existing "frame" re-populated via scissors or Frisket knife and the sheet Polyethylene foam Office Depot sell in packs and rolls for padding fragile goods?

PE foam doesn't stiffen-up, easily take a permanent "set", nor degrade to gummy ersatz Bat guano and powder-post beetle turd with age and oils the way Poly-urine-stained foams do.

Wipe-down-able PE film to keep the roofing-tar, creosote, and cow-manure offa yer fingers outa the foam, and yah should be good to go?

I don't need the foam part, but thanks - if I did!

I need the thin plastic part.
It very well could be a sheet product to be ordered from McMaster for all I know, but I wouldn't know what flavor sheet of plastic to order.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm willing to bet it is a poly urethane sheet. McMaster has it down to 14 mil thickness (14 thousandths for you non-film guys). Can prob buy that and carefully separate the foam from the original then use some lightweight adhesive to put old with new.

All I will say is DON'T buy it from Siemens. They are very proud of their parts.

Them Krauts...... :fight:

"Semens", yah mean. The only "eye" is up their own ass.

NOT "Kraut".. in the conventional sense. Lacking soul or moral compass.

Perrenial whores, c**ks**kers, and anal-receptives for Weird-Adolf first, Russians and Chinese, later.

Only thing they have any right to be "proud of" is more profitable ************************ than the average corporate hoors.

I'm willing to bet it is a poly urethane sheet. McMaster has it down to 14 mil thickness (14 thousandths for you non-film guys). Can prob buy that and carefully separate the foam from the original then use some lightweight adhesive to put old with new.

Well, I was lookin at the McM site, and they have oodles of options.

This stuff - while it look hard and brittle, is actually pretty soft and rubbery yet, even after 16 yrs of use and coolant drips (?).
The mic says that it is .009, but I'm sure that there is a bit of squish at that point, so I'm gunna say .010, and they have much options @ .010".

Just need to figger out which one.

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastic-film/thickness~0-01inches/

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

"Semens", yah mean. The only "eye" is up their own ass.

NOT "Kraut".. in the conventional sense. Lacking soul or moral compass.

Perrenial whores, c**ks**kers, and anal-receptives for Russians and Chinese!

Only thing they have any right to be "proud of" is more profitable ************************ than the average corporate hoors.

Keerful.

I'm actually a Kraut myself. Ox is too. :toetap:

Ve haf vays of making yoo talk..... :D

Well, I was lookin at the McM site, and they have oodles of options.

This stuff - while it look hard and brittle, is actually pretty soft and rubbery yet, even after 16 yrs of use and coolant drips (?).
The mic says that it is .009, but I'm sure that there is a bit of squish at that point, so I'm gunna say .010, and they have much options @ .010".

Just need to figger out which one.

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastic-film/thickness~0-01inches/

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

DAMMIT! Every TIME I try to edit... POOF! There goes ma post!

Anyway I think polyurethane would be the one. You're pushing through it, right?

UHMW might be my next choice. It's used as wire insulation. JUST DON'T GET THE CARBON FILLED VERSION. That will be conductive and might cause issues.

Uh ... yeah .... (?)

I need it to flex with the push action, and flex back when done.

I am not "piercing" through it.

???

So, Poly U yuh think?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Keerful.

I'm actually a Kraut myself. Ox is too. :toetap:

Ve haf vays of making yoo talk..... :D

I know both of yer "real names". I might even have a few hundred years on either of yah?

:)

Wir haben unsere Möglichkeiten, Sie dazu zu bringen, uns alles zu erzählen, was Sie wissen!

Real-world, we didn't have a lot of TIME. Field telephone ringer dynamo, wire around each ankle, piss on the poor sod's legs.... until his OWN urine replaced it. Try THAT with a f*****g "IPad", willyah?

:)

Not actually a joke. Standard part of the training "back in the day", more than one place in Virginia. Applied in Viet Nam. "etc"

Soldering Iron up the ass or vag - Russian trick - we only "studied academically."

Got more useful information, sooner, with wattage across the "groan area" than dropping 3 guys out of a Huey only to find that when the fourth one talked?

All he had to share is that it was the SECOND guy dropped as was the one with the plans and maps committed to memory!

War is SUCH unmitigated shite!

Oh.. and "Semens-Halske" still suck! Always HAVE done

:D

Poly E

Poly Pro

Poly Sty

Poly This

Poly That

I aint findin' no Poly U?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Uh ... yeah .... (?)

I need it to flex with the push action, and flex back when done.

I am not "piercing" through it.

???

So, Poly U yuh think?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, sir. Poly u would be my choice.

Pushing through it - pushing the button through this material.

Poly E

Poly Pro

Poly Sty

Poly This

Poly That

I aint findin' no Poly U?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Cousin to "LPE"

It's the "resistant to" ..un-American influences...one. Usually white, pink, blue-green, or nearly clear:

Welcome to Foam Factory

Not far away:

Packing Foam - Office Depot

Check your own "incoming". Lots of folk use it for packaging.

Poly U or polyurethane, often grey or black - is the one as stains, stiffens, decomposes, and degrades like shit and TO "shit" - even contributes to corrosion on fine steels AND electrical goods!

We have all seen this. Check measuring tool OEM boxes.. and get rid of it.

Then JF don't use it!

General-pupose keyboard flex covers are usally made in a "Silicon Rubber" elastomer .. that has no "rubber' (Hevea plant) IN it.

OK, so Ply U is apparently under "Rubber" sheets in stead of "plastic". :wall:

The thinnest that they have is .014.
I can git some of that and give it a try.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I just noticed that has adhesive on it. Prob not what you need...

Actually - I guess I missed that post, but that was what I just came up with as well.

I want to stick it to that foam (?) structure, so ... maybe the adhesive backed might be what I want?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back