What's new
What's new

Siemens Sinumerik 840C Actual Value to Program Value

Monchenko

Plastic
Just started running a boring mill retrofitted with a Siemens Sinumerik 840C controller. The previous operator of the machine was a grumpy old fart who didn't teach anyone what he knew about the machine before he quit.
I've been making good progress on figuring it out, but one thing I can't solve is how to change the display values. It always says "Actual Value" which is basically Machine Position. I want to know how to switch it to Program Position while I'm running. Would be way easier to tell what the hell is going on that way. Thanks

Are you programming at the control or running programs from a CAD / Cam system. I just started running a 828D which uses basically the same programming I have been programming at the control and I have the same issue until the you enter the TSM screen and measure the work piece then it will ask you if you want to use an offset G54 etc. I know there must be a way to toggle back and forth but I have not figured that out yet. I have been setting all my tool heights off the machine coordinates when I first start the machine because I can't figure out how to get back to machine coordinates after G54 has been used. They have some good you tube videos on the control but some of this what I consider should be simple stuff I have missed or they did not cover it. I am going to watch this thread hoping someone knows the answer.
Mike

On the TSM view, the bottom right hand soft key shows back, if you press that it gives a choice of actual or relative which will toggle between your current work offset and machine base coordinates.
On the TSM screen you can choose a work offset, and press cycle start to change, same as changing a tool.
G500 is machine coordinate.
Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On the TSM view, the bottom right hand soft key shows back, if you press that it gives a choice of actual or relative which will toggle between your current work offset and machine base coordinates.
On the TSM screen you can choose a work offset, and press cycle start to change, same as changing a tool.
G500 is machine coordinate.
Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks I don't know if that helps the OP but it sure helps me. I never thought to hit the C/S button to choose the G54 coordinate I kept hitting the input button and nothing happened. I like the features of this control but some of the operations could be more intuitive. The problem I kept having was adding a new tool and measuring it if the control was in G54 coordinate and I needed it in machine coordinate I would turn off the control because it starts in machine coordinate then add the tool and fuss around with trying to get it back into the G54 coordinate I knew there had to be a way and now I know.

Do you know how to get into the screen that would show machine hours?

Back