What's new
What's new

Siemens Tool turret error

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello
We just received a new (used) lathe with a Siemens 802C control.
But throws an error code: 700024

max tool position number illegal
The maximum number of tools is not set properly (should be set to 4 or 6) on the control system.PLC informationPLC address: DB1600.DBX3.0Subroutine: MAIN (OB1)RemedyCheck whether the setting of MD14510[20] (max. tool number) is correct.

I checked the MD14510(20), and it's set at 6.
It's a 6 position tool turret

When I issue a T1 D1 it throws the error.

I changed the MD14510 to 4 and back to 6.
But not working so far.

When I issue a tool change command I hear a relay clicking inside the control cabinet.
And something inside the turret.

The encoder seems to work fine.
If I move the encoder to a different position and issue a toolturret change it says "The programmed tool position number is larger than the maximum tool position number"
When I move it back to the original position it doesn't throw an error. And doesn't want to change position which is good.

No I didn't homed/referenced the turret. But to be honest, no idea how? Can't find anything about it.

I think the parameters got erased. The control is the low end of siemens and doesn't have a battery for backup, uses capacitors to hold. It says the parameters may be lost if it sits for 50 hours or longer.

Place I retired from had an old EDM that was kind of the same. Always had to leave the control power on. After multiple times reloading data after leaving it off too long, my electronic tech made up a little circuit with a battery pack, voltage regulator and reverse current protection so the power could be off for months if needed.

When I bought the machine the dealer told me the parameters were lost, and they are restored. When I issued a toolchange it would throw the same error. And the dealer didn't have knowledge about it. And I'm not familiar with the Siemens control.
But he assured me the turret was working. And I decided to buy the machine.
I got it since last week but the turret is not working like it should :)

I think that just the Siemens parameters are restored and I'm missing something for the turret.
The turret motor also get insanely hot (too hot to touch it).
I know the encoder is working because there is a ring with 6 positions at the back of the turret. With a inner ring and a magnet.
When the magnet doesn't "touch" one of the 6 positions (6 pos turret) the machine throws an error that it can't read the encoder.

The guy that reloaded the parameters will come tomorrow to see if he can fix it....
I hope he can because a cnc lathe without a usable turret is a bit useless

If the parameters weren't restored while the machine was powered at your shop I don't think they got restored. And how is the turret locked/unlocked? air , hydraulic or solenoid?

The parameters are loaded. But we're missing the parameters for the turret.
And nobody knows these parameters

Back