What's new
What's new

simultaneous(?) turning etc

Mike1974

Diamond
Anyone doing this type of work?

YouTube

Does it take dedicated software? Are there any "name" brand software that support this out of the box? Mastercam, NX, Surfcam, etc? Just curious. Looks cool as hell, but wonder if the programming effort would be worth it in cycle time...

the Siemens has a command followon that you can slave axis together that makes it pretty simple. you can say slave z1 to z2 and have it drive different ratios and have throw a - into it to make it go the other direction.

YouTube

I talked to the app guy who did this and he said he used the followon through out the program, used no cam.

On my Swiss and similar machines, you don't have to put any extra thought into the code, the controls are designed to do overlapping processes at the same time, you just turn on that "mode" with a G code, then program each process the same as you normally would.

For example if you wanted to drill from your sub spindle into the main spindle, and do OD turning on the main spindle, you just set your feedrate for turning on the main, and set your feedrate for drilling on the sub, and the control does all the calculations to give each Z axis its own feedrate to compensate.

Esprit will let you post code for that pretty simply as well.

Proving out the program for the first time can be a little hair raising.

On my Swiss and similar machines, you don't have to put any extra thought into the code, the controls are designed to do overlapping processes at the same time, you just turn on that "mode" with a G code, then program each process the same as you normally would.

For example if you wanted to drill from your sub spindle into the main spindle, and do OD turning on the main spindle, you just set your feedrate for turning on the main, and set your feedrate for drilling on the sub, and the control does all the calculations to give each Z axis its own feedrate to compensate.

Esprit will let you post code for that pretty simply as well.

Proving out the program for the first time can be a little hair raising.

I've only worked at two places that had swiss machines. Neither of them were doing the stuff I saw in the video so I was not sure if it was a specialized process or whatnot. Would be cool to program, but like you said - prove out would proll'y make you tear your hair out! :D

By putting an X-axis on the subspindle, it's certainly a very interesting way of adding productivity without a second turret. Curious as to the benefits of a machine like this vs a twin turret, in terms of cost and floor space.

I would guess that a lot of the simultaneous machining there is handcoded.

I've done simultaneous turning and boring, but only on twin turret lathes.

That video is cool- but boy, that machine looks easy to crash!

A lot happening at the same time. I've never used that side of Esprit, but most people I know that do Swiss work, use Partmaker (Gibbs).

R

A lot happening at the same time. I've never used that side of Esprit, but most people I know that do Swiss work, use Partmaker (Gibbs).

R

I was going to say that I don't see why Gibbs couldn't do that, the synchronous swiss side seems to be pretty powerful however I've never twiddled actual knobs on a Swiss.

Back