What's new
What's new

single point threading #0-80 thread

trademarkmachine

Aluminum
any one think it is possible to single point #0-80 thread x .25 long on cnc lathe.
Material is .06 303 SS rod.

Thinking of using laydown threading tool.

I have Mori Frontier lathe 8" chuck.

Have done plenty of threading. 3MM being the smallest in 6061 alum.

Thought about using Goemetric chasing head if needed.

Thanks
Mike

any one think it is possible to single point #0-80 thread x .25 long on cnc lathe.
Material is .06 303 SS rod.

I suppose it's possible on any lathe that has threading capability. Lots of things are possible, that's not to say I'm running out to try them all just for shits and giggles.

Thought about using Goemetric chasing head if needed.
Seems like the smart way to go to me. This problem was worked out a long time ago, and it's how that Mr. Geometric fella made all that money selling those die heads of his!;)

easy to do on a hand mill
assuming the major is finished
get an adjustable die. stick it in a collet. indicate your spindle dead nuts to the collet. then pop a tapmatic in the spindle, put the part in the tapmatic head and feed down by hand till it catchs and threads.
do them all the time for various sizes. heck of alot faster then a lathe and more accurate than on a lathe class 3 thread shouldnt be a problem long threads are fast to..

do some test parts so you get the feel of the thread starting that's the most important part of it because you can round off the front chamfer if you baby it.

I've done 2-56. I would NOT use a laydown style insert (not sharp enough).

The biggest thing is getting the cutter on centerline, and sharp as you can make Tools.

R

We’ve single pointed 0-80 in nickel silver. I don’t think it was quite .250 long and I don’t know how that compares to 303 but I think it worked fine for us....maybe 10,000 parts total over a couple years?

for single pointing on my Omni-turn and citizen I use these tools. There single pointing tools last for a long time, I have over 6000 parts on one tip and the profile is still in perfect, doing both 303ss and steel 4-40 screws. The 304 ss 4-40 parts lasted around 1500 parts if I recall before I changed them. I only run oil which makes a huge difference. We Like these tools so much I am putting them on my Miyano as well (cut off small grooving and threading) turning I havent had great success with on my citizen with this style insert but my omni there the bomb been using them since they 1st came out with the omnibar 15 years ago?.
the narrower ones work best for 2-56 threads.

they came from omni-turn back east I believe this company makes them.
Somma / Max-Bar (Series 6) | Somma Swiss | Somma Tool Company

Liek litlerob1 said center line is key

Curious what "much finer" than a single pointed 0-80 thread is? If I drop something that small, could be a long while before I find it again . . .

Yupp, that right there!
When I started out, made thousands of spacers on the Hardinge chucker. .065 +/-.002 ID, .098 +/- OD x .035 thick...
One time I've had to sneeze while counting a batch.

Just by estimating afterwards, I think that careless sneeze cost me a bit north of $150!

Anyway, if you have a geometric head and the appropriate chasers, I wouldn't even entertain any ideas of single pointing.

Curious what "much finer" than a single pointed 0-80 thread is? If I drop something that small, could be a long while before I find it again . . .

I've made quite a few small diameter screws at about 100 TPI, quite long, by using a traveling follower and upside-down tool. Sort of a cobbled together box tool. It helps to start with good centerless ground stock.

Back