What's new
What's new

SL3 Diameter issue.

Kenre

Cast Iron
Finally got a new chuck on my SL3 after a major crash. Realigned turret.

Everything seems normal, homes ok, program runs as they should, but its not cutting to centre.

Seems the whole X axis is high 25mm (an inch) on the diameter.

Would it be servo belt jumped a few teeth causing this? Not sure how this could affect it as the encoder is on the end of the servo itself.

Last edited:
To understand better- after you home the X axis, your ID tool blocks should be 4.0000 from center. (at least on a machine here in the US). How far from center are you? Sounds like a grid shift issue, and resetting that is covered in the Mori op manual.

Im using home made ID tool blocks, so may be different dimensions.

Measuring from the turret face to centerline i get 140mm, Same as the manual specs.
I can see by the slidecovers that the x axis isnt going full home as it used to.

The X screw pitch wouldn't happen to be 12.5mm ish would it? Perhaps the encoder is picking up home one revolution to soon. Or from your post that it measures what the manual specs maybe it was one revolution off before the crash.

Either way I'm not seeing what the issue is, should that not be reconciled in the tool offsets? My supermax TC-2 X axis homes 2 inches before the soft limit. After speaking to a few people that appears to be how they were made.

I can see by the slidecovers that the x axis isnt going full home as it used to.

Did you happen to replace the x-axis decel switch? What you are describing will happen if you wired it normally open instead of normally closed.

I havent touched any switches.
More investigating shows the Z axis is stopping an inch or so short of its usual Zero home point.
So both are not homing fully. Buggered if i can find anything in the manuals about a Grid shift.

OK, problem solved!!

It is homing correctly. The extra inch is from over travels.
Problem was in Fusion 360, The new programs had the X center set to 145 and not 199.
Everytime they do an update i find new issues.

What control is on this thing? Your response leads me to think you are using G50 position presets to locate your tools. Does your control have geometry offsets? They will make your life SO much easier if you have them!

Dan, 3T-D so yes G50 position.

Now im trying to work out how to set up G74 for peck drilling
This is what i have, but its only shuffling back and forth a few mm in the same spot.

N1170 G00 Z5.
N1172 G74 R2.
N1174 G74 X.00 Z-42. Q100 F600

What have i missed?

Dan, 3T-D so yes G50 position.

Now im trying to work out how to set up G74 for peck drilling
This is what i have, but its only shuffling back and forth a few mm in the same spot.

N1170 G00 Z5.
N1172 G74 R2.
N1174 G74 X.00 Z-42. Q100 F600

What have i missed?

I don't know how the controller works in metric but in inch Q100 = .0100"

So you are retracting 2mm and then pecking maybe .1 or .01mm. It likely is pecking, just a super small amount. Like I said I don't know how metric works but Q can't be a decimal value.

Dan, i dont think it does. I havent seen anything in the manuals. i have tool offsets, and the G50 for part location/Zero.

3T-D is run through the LED display. CRT is for Fapt only.

Back