Sliding Headstock vs Fixed head lathe - low volume / high mix 0.5"-2" diameter Alum - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wmpy View Post
    Thanks. I guess I hadn't thought about it like that. It makes sense that a Swiss machine that can run nearly unattended 24/7 is worth more than a typical chucker lathe that requires an operator to make parts. Unattended operating is something I'd like to work towards, but it sure is daunting.
    It is all about process development and continuous improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wmpy View Post
    Thanks. I guess I hadn't thought about it like that. It makes sense that a Swiss machine that can run nearly unattended 24/7 is worth more than a typical chucker lathe that requires an operator to make parts. Unattended operating is something I'd like to work towards, but it sure is daunting.

Well, I Shirley don't know what part of "Sliding Headstock" has to doo with unattended?

Shirley someone here has ponied a bar feeder up to a fixed headstock at some point?
    And 12'ers pony up to fixed even easier than they doo sliding.

"Fixed" and "Bushing Delete Sliders" will save you $ on material compared to a traditional slider as the bar ends are shorter.
    And if you go with a 4' bar feeder/loader - where you don't have Remnant Retract, you can git'cher bar end down to essentially nothing - depending on the layout of the program/job. But down to 2" to say the least - which compared to 9" for traditional Swiss, adds up on 1.25" 316 SS.

Not that I am agginst sliders. I have one, and am sniff'n around the used market recently as well, but I run fixed 24/7 as well.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well, I Shirley don't know what part of "Sliding Headstock" has to doo with unattended?

Shirley someone here has ponied a bar feeder up to a fixed headstock at some point?
    And 12'ers pony up to fixed even easier than they doo sliding.

"Fixed" and "Bushing Delete Sliders" will save you $ on material compared to a traditional slider as the bar ends are shorter.
    And if you go with a 4' bar feeder/loader - where you don't have Remnant Retract, you can git'cher bar end down to essentially nothing - depending on the layout of the program/job. But down to 2" to say the least - which compared to 9" for traditional Swiss, adds up on 1.25" 316 SS.

Not that I am agginst sliders. I have one, and am sniff'n around the used market recently as well, but I run fixed 24/7 as well.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I'll agree I have a swiss for the last 6 years love it, but back in the day 1996 to be exact we bought a YCI Tc2 6" chuck lathe, with a cnc enhancement bar feed. we had one job that last close to 3 years making battery terminals for the military made out of telurium copper. it ran unattended for those three years 24/7 and even on weekends pretty much by its self. we put a collet 5c collet nose on it we wasted a whopping .750-1" of material every 4 foot bar.
    The key was putting a 8 foot table on the end of the cnc enhancements 5 foot deep table it already had. this allowed us to hold a chit pot of 1/2" dia bars. but there were other things as well, thats the parts catcher modifications. so we took a few old Miyano conveys for the parts catcher system mickey moused it to the tc2. then we needed a tube to hold all the parts a ramp onto a wooden crate made from a pallet worked perfectly.
    Back then there was a video system used for pcs call Cu C Me we used that set up to monitor it.
    Only problem we ever had with that job was picking up all the parts out of the bin then next morning. on the weekends one of us would stop by to make sure the bars were loaded and to change the wooden pallet tubs if need be. we had it working perfectly maybe one out of every 100 parts would have a ding. size always held -.0005 on the back journal.
    I dont remember the cycle time I wanna say 3 mins? it was center drill drill tap ccmt o.d. tool and a toplock I modified to use as a part off turn the back journal and put a small relief on the back journal face.
    took about a week to get it running good, took about a month to get it running lights out perfectly and still sleep well at night.

we did a few long lights out running jobs on alum and brass after that job was finished as well. didnt run the 8 foot extension table those as the bars were 1.5 inchs dia. so we had it just shut off when the bars were out. if someone was around the shop after hours or on the weekends they would load it up start machine go home.
    I loved that setup and that machine and barfeed ran flawlessly for a very long time.