Slotting tool recommendations - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Michigan, might be something to try if it for some reason the kennametal stops working.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you running it with coolant or any other lubricant? or at least blowing the chips away with air?
    By the looks of the pictures of your worn down endmills they look like they were pulling the cut chips back through and rubbing, and the chips were welding themselves to the cutting edge.

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by meowkat View Post
    Small update, tried the niagara and got lots of chatter, tried a guhring diver and got a little bit of chatter and then it exploded doing a straight plunge as advertised, tried a kennametal Harvi 1 HPHV and it took the same cut as the guhring diver did but quietly and hasn't broken yet. Should turn this job from low paid into easy money.

I think the kennametal is a great tool so far.
    Kennametal makes great tools for alloy steel (nonstainless/getting mad not knowing the right English term.) Their SC drills are excellent for P*, their face mills likewise.

If I'm not woefully mistaken, the Harvi I should be run without coolant in this material. Air is best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If through slots as I think I read...why all the funky angles on the tool edge?
    Why ramp? Endmills like to run clean with ejected chips taking the heat away...which brings me to when ramping into "thin" that stuff heats up like nobodies business killing the tool, created more heat, kills tool faster.

Keep it simple, drill through then plunge endmill in a little deeper and feed with lots of coolant. I like 3 flute as it lets the chips out. If you want to play with tool life, have tool down a bit then ramp down a bit as you go. Now your using more of the tools flute length.

Need a clean slot to size, rough under and finish with another tool.

5. Likes Tichy liked this post