What's new

Slow Speed Impact for Part Change?

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 4,659

Ox

Diamond
Is there such a thing as a slower speed impact wrench that has the "Hit" to break loose, yet not run-away once it is actually loose?

This would be such a benefit for part change time!

I believe that there is an "impact" type air ratchet out there, and I wonder if that may work like this, but for more traditional "straight on" type work, not so sure what's out there?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, I recently picked up a HF 120 vac impact wrench, and it's slower than the air
one (seems to always go the same speed), sort of on/off.

I noticed the other day taking off lug nuts, that it doesn't have that
"roll the nuts across the floor at 90 mph" problem.

At $34 it might be worth a try.

Or....I think what you want it an impact wrench combined with a power
screw gun.
Those have the "do not spin until pushed" drive clutch, so stopping it is as easy as
pulling off the nut, no spinning down.

A big hammer (3/4 drive) on regulated air might do it.

But I wouldn't be able to verify that.

I've got a Makita 1/4" drive 18V impact driver that doesn't run away, but it's not speed adjustable.

Got an adapter so I can use 3/8 drive sockets.

Attachments

• makita.jpg
    makita.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 137
The latest generation of cordless/brushless impact drivers from Milwaukee, Makita, and others have great modulation of power, will do exactly what you're asking. Very powerful too, and losing the hose is nice.

QB

I use a half inch drive Makita to change some parts. I push kinda hard when opening and the friction of the socket on the clamp surface keeps over run in check. There are 12) 1/2x13 nuts holding 24 parts. Finger needs to be quick on the trigger too.

I've got the right-angle "air ratchet" type, and no, no runaway issue.

One advantage is you can use its body-length AS a (mini) breaker under gentle manual nudge BEFORE triggering the air, same again, after.

That said, cordless, as above, is what I expect to replace it with. Air hose is a PITA, and it is, after all, still "notchy", regardless. No "slew rate" mode.

The better makits 1/2" 18V brushless do have varying speed and selectable speed limits, still not sure you could say undo bolts only a couple of turns as i have only played with a friends one, but certainly you can control it well enough with just a bit of practice to only losen stuff a "few" turns. There braked so stop fast on trigger release and not just spin down and don't have the kinda momentum and spin a air tool does.

what size bolts do you want to work with Ox man?
Gw

Don't have an app today that we need it, but other fixtures use 1/4" bolts. But I could see up to 3/8 prolly.
Wouldn't need to be balled down tho. Prolly the same as a Mighty Bite. I'm guessing that those would benefit greatly from a tool like this?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have 3 fixtures the fit in 8" vise, each has 18 1/4-20 shcs, use a dewalt cordless for both in an out, couldn't hardly ask for more.
Fixtures are alum.at least 6 yrs old, perhaps I am missing the latest an greatest, but it works here.
Just sayin.
No dam snow!
Gw

Yes. With programmable torque, even. (programmable speed too)

M18 FUEL™ with ONE-KEY™ 1/4" Hex Impact Driver Kit

I got it for a fixture where the difference between "thrown part" and "deformed part" was small, and it does a fantastic job.

That's really interesting, I'll look into it. We have an 18V DeWalt driver similar in size, it's not adjustable or programmable but its' throttle makes it easy to control speed and power for small fasteners.

Ox, I'll send you one of my I-R air ratchets...I think I still have a few floating around here that don't get used much anymore. 3/8" drive with the impact-style-clutch.

If you haven't moved in the past few years, I still have your address...let me know asap.

Just checked, I have one I'll have the Pony Express guys pick up tomorrow.

Steve

Much obliges, but that's OK...

EDIT:

BTW - welcome back chum.
Long time no see...

???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sounds like you need standard pressure but flow restriction. Shouldn't be too hard to make a pipe adapter with s small hole in it. You do likely need some volume reservoir. A leader type hose night just do the trick.

Something like this
Heavy- Duty Rubber Air Whip Hose Swivel & Rotate Ball Fitting 1/4" - Air Tool Hoses - Amazon.com

Flow restrictions won't slow down the first few hits. Flow restrictions will soften the blow after the initial volume is expended and the restriction starts to limit pressure.
Air pressure at the motor is what accelerates the free swinging hammers. A light hammer going less quickly is just a softer blow.

Not a full blow at a slower speed.

Much obliges, but that's OK...

EDIT:

BTW - welcome back chum.
Long time no see...

???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I pop in from time-to-time, but overall just too busy. I already pulled the I-R out of the tool box, I certainly don't need 4 of them and you are a treat to the community, so a freebie is yours if you want me to drop it in the mail.

Steve

I don't have an app for it today.
Just considering my options on a job that I quoted.

Besides, then I'd hafta find a hole to store it here.
Prolly right next to all those 7/16 allen wrenches that Douglas sent me! :willy_nilly:

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back