Small boring bars with no flats alignment? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Not sure how to grind a flat the entire length of a boring bar in a vee block.
    Where does the clamp go?
    It doesn't need a flat for the entire length. Just a flat where on where a set screw is going to land at the desired gauge length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TKassoc View Post
    It doesn't need a flat for the entire length. Just a flat where on where a set screw is going to land at the desired gauge length.

Or is the right answer that it does not need a flat and eyeball is just as good as a flat.
    I'm sure this will make some heads spin. I'm going negative or positive oh my.. no you are not. It is a new cutting centerline. Tool tip to rotation center.
    Do you put flats on your drills to orient them?
    I know it seems all so wrong and been through this with so many engineers and machinists so many times.
    The problem is gluing your feet to the machine slide as if it was some magical datum. It is so hard to break that in the box thinking.
    A boring tool at 45 degrees off at design cutting diameter works just fine. Size comp on the slide gets confusing.
    So much agree that straight 90 inline and simple is best and KISS.
    I will continue to run boring bars on lathes and in boring heads so way twisted off center on purpose even if it looks so silly.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Or is the right answer that it does not need a flat and eyeball is just as good as a flat.
    We'll give the OP your phone number, you can tell his boss

Not sure how to grind a flat the entire length of a boring bar in a vee block.
    Superglue, if you absolutely must have the flat running the full length.

I'm sure there's better ways than what I posted - but there's no excuse for snivelling when the boss asks for a flat. Even with the most elementary tools, you can do it.

And if you don't have gage blocks, set an adjustable parallel to the thickness you need.

It's not that hard.

Bob's just being a troublemaker .... it is nicer to have the flat of the boring bar directly along the axis of the boring head slide. Keeps the tool geometry as designed, as well as keeping the adjustments on the boring head accurate. But if you really needed to, you could probably sharpen the end of a pin and beat the thing in with a sledge hammer. See ? no reason to follow standard practices after all

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just want to point out that a b-bar that is not on center will not bore an accurate angle.
    I got a whole order rejected because of this.

5. Likes CarbideBob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will not argue that my method is superior to the above mentioned methods, in fact, the above methods are superior in their accuracy. My way is quick and dirty and has worked for me although a .125" bar is the smallest I run. I simply lay my 12" or 6" scale across the flat surface at the business end the boring bar and eyeball align the scale to the pocket of the turret. Works for me

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This bar should not be on center. Why? Small bars (carbide or hss) twist under load. A right handed bar should run .005-.01 below spindle centerline. A left should be above spindle centerline.
    If you have a tool presetter in the machine I would generally find a flat spot to setup a gage stack and set that stack on the presetter and align accordingly to your needs.