UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Small dovetail vise for 4th axis

Hey all,

I have a few runs of parts (6061)I need to machine on my Brother with a Yukiwa 4th.
    They will require (for my sanity in minimizing setups) 3ops with a 4th for the first 2.

Instead of making a fixture using pitbulls I've been really tempted to get a small dovetail vise

Looking at the following:
    Kurt Dt20
    5th Axis d115
    Raptor RWP-001

My stock is 1.5"x2.25"x3.5" for one part and 1.5"x3"x4.5" for the second part and the vise needs to clamp across the 1.5" face, hence the size on my vise interests.

Any feedback on these, or should I be looking at any others?

Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couple things:

1- I personally find Raptor dovetail fixtures to be a couple steps up in quality compared to the 5th Axis ones, but not quite enough to make the extra price worth it. I also like that 5th Axis uses a standard 45 degree dovetail (I do camera gear, so we cut a lot of 45 degree dovetails), versus the 60 degree used by the Raptor.

2- Having said that, I would consider a self centering vise - Lang or 5th Axis. I'll bet you'll be able to get away without the dovetail op using one of these, but if that doesn't work, they can still grip a dovetail for extra rigidity. Loading/Unloading work (especially in-machine) is way nicer with a self centering vise than it is with a dovetail clamp. Finally, these are generally way more flexible to keep around for general purpose work.

3. Likes boosted liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lang are fantastic, but they are significantly more expensive than others. I like sticking a Lang sub plate on the 4th and then putting the pull studs on any fixtures for super quick change-outs with return to zero. For aluminum you won't need to pre-stamp but it doesn't hurt if you are really getting at it.

Jergens has stuff compatible with the Lang stuff and they are much less expensive, but...

5. Likes mhajicek, boosted liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We buy 5th axis stuff and have yet to be disappointed.
    Price isn't bad either.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use 5th Axis Vises for some oddball work on the multi-axis machines. In your case with one width (1.5"), I would make a vise that holds it in the proper location, rather than going to the expense of using a self-centering vise when you don't need it. I have made "vises" for all of my fractional stock sizes. This allows me to use much shorter tools to machine parts in the 4th or at A 90 in the 5 axis machines, and don't require a pre-op to put in the dovetail. All of them use a single 3/16" Allen Key for tightening the part. I won't lie, they don't hold the part exceptionally tightly, and I periodically launch a part. But the material is inexpensive and I personally feel that is a fair trade for the benefits. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G00 Proto View Post
    I use 5th Axis Vises for some oddball work on the multi-axis machines. In your case with one width (1.5"), I would make a vise that holds it in the proper location, rather than going to the expense of using a self-centering vise when you don't need it. I have made "vises" for all of my fractional stock sizes. This allows me to use much shorter tools to machine parts in the 4th or at A 90 in the 5 axis machines, and don't require a pre-op to put in the dovetail. All of them use a single 3/16" Allen Key for tightening the part. I won't lie, they don't hold the part exceptionally tightly, and I periodically launch a part. But the material is inexpensive and I personally feel that is a fair trade for the benefits. Of course, your mileage may vary.
    Any photos of the DIY vices?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Psycomill (or someone else) was making their own 5X dovetail vises from AL. He was also offering to sell some for a great cost....
    Of course, you may need something more rigid than AL.
    If I can find the thread, I'll post the link.

Doug.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Lang are fantastic, but they are significantly more expensive than others. I like sticking a Lang sub plate on the 4th and then putting the pull studs on any fixtures for super quick change-outs with return to zero. For aluminum you won't need to pre-stamp but it doesn't hurt if you are really getting at it.
    This is what I do. No stock prep for aluminum or plastic, cut a 60° dovetail for titanium or pre-hard steel. Quick swaps on center between the vise and collet fixtures.