What's new
What's new

Small Five-Axis Machine

Red X

Aluminum
Hello,

Can anyone recommend machines that can be bought to do five-axis work on small parts? I am prepared to go used.
Something relatively cheap to run, durable and precise with parts that are relatively cheap and available?

I know typically five-axis and cheap are mutually exclusive, but thought I would put the question out anyways.

Thanks!

That thing is a joke, with that mass and design it can machine plastic only, which you may as well just 3D print. I don't get it.

That thing is a joke, with that mass and design it can machine plastic only, which you may as well just 3D print. I don't get it.

That doesn't help anything. Op didn't give any specifications or requirements either, so I offered the smallest, cheapest solution. Any better ideas?

Edit: there's always Datron.

The Brother M140X1 is about the smallest, least expensive 5 axis machine out there right now, with a fairly reasonable price tag.

And it's a Brother, so you know it's going to be dead to nuts reliable and well supported.

As much as I love Brothers (have 3 of em) the M140X1 is really a 4+1 machine. On the other hand, it can turn too, which could be a major bonus.

I'm not sure there is a ton of work you can't do with four simultaneous.

I was told that it can do full 5 axis in Japan, but there are significant differences in import duties.

I think I was given a ballpark figure of 130 last time I inquired about it.

Any haas with 2-axis trunnion.
Trunnion about 15-20.000 iirc and VF1/2 from 30 up.
Starting from 60 k and up you get a new, warrantied, biggish machine.

Note trunnion eats up height.

The 5-axis native haas is about 100k.
The finnish-made Kolibri is about 100 k, saw one at EMO in germany.
Tiny.
About 40x smaller than the Haas by work envelope.

Hello,

Can anyone recommend machines that can be bought to do five-axis work on small parts? I am prepared to go used.
Something relatively cheap to run, durable and precise with parts that are relatively cheap and available?

I know typically five-axis and cheap are mutually exclusive, but thought I would put the question out anyways.

Thanks!

Precise and cheap are not available. Pick one.

Any haas with 2-axis trunnion.

Note trunnion eats up height.

Yup, trunnion eats up height.

And FWIW, a VF2 with a trunnion can't really make anything truly "5 axis" very large.

Maybe about the size of a large grapefruit, despite the 30 x 16 travel of the machine itself.

Yeah, but with 15K spindle and FANUC 31i It Ain't gonna be cheap....

Probably not. FWIW, that machine is available with a 0i control, and the same spindle in a 4+1 version. I have no idea what the price difference is, but I recall a distributor having a sale on these (the 4+1 version) a few months ago for somewhere in the low/mid $200's. I guess it's not really "cheap", but like 2outof3 posted earlier, good and cheap don't come together with this kind of machine...

I'm curious to know where the price of one of these comes in... SVX-500 | Sharp Industries My first thought to a Sharp 5-Axis machine was, "Pfft, I'm sure that's a dandy..." After browsing over the machine though, it looks like a well-made machine. Available with Fanuc or Siemens control. It sounds like the biggest gamble would be parts and service... http://www.sharp-industries.com/sites/default/files/product-file/SHARP SVX-500 - Catalog.pdf

I'm curious to know where the price of one of these comes in... SVX-500 | Sharp Industries My first thought to a Sharp 5-Axis machine was, "Pfft, I'm sure that's a dandy..." After browsing over the machine though, it looks like a well-made machine. Available with Fanuc or Siemens control. It sounds like the biggest gamble would be parts and service... http://www.sharp-industries.com/sites/default/files/product-file/SHARP SVX-500 - Catalog.pdf

Another shop I knew looked into those Sharp 5 Axis last year, before IMTS I believe so July/August time line. With a Fanuc 31i B5 the quoted price was right at $300k and a 3 week delivery. Not sure of the cost with a Siemens control but that made it 6 month delivery. Their choice came down to Mazak VCU 400 or DMG DMU 50 and they went with the Mazak due to dealer and delivery time. Happy and had it making parts inside three weeks.

Check out Mazak's new Universal 5X line. Not sure your budget, but we have a 400A and its a pretty nice sized machine for small/medium five axis work. We also have many Variaxis, but I'm thinking that's too big/spendy for your needs. They have three economical sizes:
https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/vertical-center-universal-300a-5x/
https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/vertical-center-universal-400a-5x/
https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/vertical-center-universal-500a-5x/

I saw these at IMTS 2014. A salesman told me the support for the end of the table was not attached to the machine casting, just rested on the floor with a leveling pad. Is this true?

Another shop I knew looked into those Sharp 5 Axis last year, before IMTS I believe so July/August time line. With a Fanuc 31i B5 the quoted price was right at $300k and a 3 week delivery. Not sure of the cost with a Siemens control but that made it 6 month delivery. Their choice came down to Mazak VCU 400 or DMG DMU 50 and they went with the Mazak due to dealer and delivery time. Happy and had it making parts inside three weeks.

$300k for a sharp? LOL

Hello,

Thanks!

Manual Bridgeport you can just tilt the head 2 ways

Back