What's new
What's new

Small tool slotting. HSM or HFM?

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I have a part, made of P20 mold steel. It has a 4mm (.1575) wide x 5mm (.197") deep slot about 40mm (1-1/2") long. Ha, look at me being all metric and shit.

Anyway, I have been having pretty good luck with using an 1/8" 5 flute end mill and trochoidal milling the slot to .152 wide. Then I come back in with a 9/64 (.141") diameter end mill and finish cut each side of the slot. It has been working well, so naturally, I want to mess with it.

I'm thinking about using one of the small diameter, solid carbide HFM mills to rough the slot. But I've never tried one of those little buggers.

SO I'm looking for recommendations on a cutter.

I have used the 0.125" Niagara/Seco units and they rip and never die in hardened 4140 (41-44HRc). I don't recall them being prohibitively expensive, either.

I have used the 0.125" Niagara/Seco units and they rip and never die in hardened 4140 (41-44HRc). I don't recall them being prohibitively expensive, either.

I use the Niagara stabilizers with a small corner break for roughing. They are not that expensive and seem to last on the work we do at my place.

Niagara Cutter

You're barely over 1 x the width, in depth. Not really a situation where HFM will benefit you.

The above mentioned Stabilzer 2.0 tools really are impressive. In that cut, I don't think an HFM would keep up.

However, that's a narrow slot. Better make sure you have a good way to get the chips out. If you have a good air blast, those Stabilizer 2.0 tools will kick butt.

Back