What's new
What's new

small turning center with big hole?

cncsob

Plastic
I am looking at the Haas ST15 with a 2.530 hole but have been looking around to see there is any other turning center that are compact with a 2 1/2" hole ... I have a lot of short 2 1/4" dia parts coming up so really don`t want to billet them off and chucker them ...

I am looking at the Haas ST15 with a 2.530 hole but have been looking around to see there is any other turning center that are compact with a 2 1/2" hole ... I have a lot of short 2 1/4" dia parts coming up so really don`t want to billet them off and chucker them ...

Doosan Lynx 2100LB. 2.64" Ø through the drawtube. It will run circles around that Haas. I know because I have on of each one the floor..............Well a 220LC and SL20..............and it seems the ST series aren't a huge leap forward from the SL series..................Just poked around the Haas site...........looks like the Lynx would be neck and neck in price. Both in the low/mid $60Ks....................This next year my Haas will be replaced by another Doosan.

IIRC the Takisawas from Taiwan come with the bigger hole. Some of them are linear guide, and some are box way, so double check everything and be sure you are getting what you want.
Agree, the sales crew and even more important the support makes or breaks the sale.
good luck!

There's a new Doosan Lynx 2100LC with a 81mm 3.18" spindle bore, 10" chuck, I think its a 10 position turret instead of 12. That's quite the bore capacity in a fairly compact machine.
My Lynx 2100LB is 65mm, 2.56"

I get that a lot of guys are happy with the Lynx machines but I have no plans of doing business with the local dealer.

Hyundai-Wia and Hwacheon have models with similar capacity, not sure if the service is any better your way with those...
Otherwise double the money and the top brands got lots to offer too.

Not sure how popular Victor lathes are over there? A few years ago I remember a business that I deal with that had a short stubby machine with a 100mm spindle bore for threading the ends of drill tubes. It might have been a special order though?
I wonder if it might be viable for you to look into special orders from dealers, that is of course if you are not in too much of a rush for the manufacturer to put something together for you.

Doosan would be my first choice, next would be a Samsung/smart (if you have a dealer). It sucks you have a poor dealer for Doosan because they are 4 times the machine the equal Haas is and they are cheaper.

Back