What's new
What's new

Smallest/finest 5 axis waterjet?

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

can anyone advise on the smallest 5-axis waterjet available? I have a specific application in mind, with a work envelope of only 6" x 8" x 2" (height). All the waterjets I've been able to find have a much larger work envelope. I'd like to fit the machine into a small research lab, so space is a concern.

I'd also like advice on how fine a cut (kerf?) Is feasible with waterjet - the other modality we were considering is conventional milling, with endmills around 1/16". Heat buildup would be an issue, which is part of the reason for looking at waterjet. Could a waterjet cut as fine as that? Or even smaller - the fiber, the better.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Milland, I'll contact them to see what they can offer. Price is always a concern (!), But if it's the right tool for the job, means we need to find the right grant funding but not impossible.

Wire edm wouldn't work, as it's a non conductive material

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if they could put a five axis head on the protomax but the other option might be a special 2626 with the A-Jet head. Normally they only put them on the big machines as they really don't want to be cutting at angles when closer than like two feet from the edge of the tank. That's because if you did that for a long time you might wear through the tank! But they might make a special as I'm sure it's technically possible. You said grant which leads me to guess you are in a research institution. I'd suggest if you could swing it to get at least the 2652 with A-Jet as then it would have a long life past whatever the grant for. Waterjets are the best institutional prototyping tool ever.

Back