What's new
What's new

smallish subspindle Y axis turning center recommendations

Fredwashere

Plastic
I currently have a Daewoo Puma 200c. It has recently developed a control related issue where it simply dies. Thankfully, no crashes so far . Turning off main power and restarting has worked so far, but sooner or later it won't. For that reason, and the fact that work is slowly backing up due to general capacity, I am looking for an additional machine. Due to workflow a subspindle, Y axis machine makes sense. 51mm bar capability, 500mm length should be more than enough. In actuality the machine will probably spend 40% of the time doing simple milling.

I am not wanting to start a flame war, but will list my personal hierarchy of machines, and my thoughts. If you strongly disagree, or have a suggestion for a machine that I've not considered, please say so. If you have personal experience with any of the models, good or bad, it would also be appreciated. Some of the specific models are based on availability more-so than being a good match.

Mori NLX2000SY Good steel, crap service.
Okuma L3000MYW-e No personal experience with Okuma but seem to be good machines.
Nakamura-Tome AS200LMYS The brand seems to have good reputation, but the distributor has a history of souring relations with builders ( Methods )and I'd be concerned with future service issues.
Mazak QT-EZ8 Not sure on this machine as its the first year, and I don't fancy being the Guinea pig. Not available until EOY.
Doosan Puma 2100SY I like my dealer, and service on the Daewoo was great ( although rarely needed ). Difficult to find.
Tsugami M08SY Ticks all of the spec boxes, but seems to be very underpowered compared to everything else. Is readily available.

I like my Okuma G L2000MY Other than it using a lot of way oil. The VDI30 is a bit limiting on milling.

You might see what Yamazen has in a Takisawa. They have some compact Chuckers.

Whichever machine has the best service in your area is usually the right way to go...except for haas, i like their mills and we run them and have had good luck, however i HATE thier lathes with the excepetion of VPS on the control which is actually pretty good for the stuff we do. Big doosan fan for the money, think thats going to be our next machine.

I'd put a Takisawa on that list as well. It should be similar in price and features/quality to the Okuma.

I bought and ran an M08SY and it was a very capable machine. Not as much live tool HP or RPM as other offerings on your list. I ran plenty of "done in one" parts on it and it had some really nice setup features (it has the program check function to handwheel through programs during setup). Certainly had some quirks in the control implementation (don't hang your finger on the feed hold button LOL). The direct drive was nice and it did polar milling with no issues. For the price tag I would buy one again, but would also be looking at Okuma and Takisawa. The Naks are gonna be nice but very expensive relatively speaking. I have no buying or other experience with the others on your list.

I would probably go BNX, unless you can afford the 2 turrets.

MIYANO BNX-51MSY | Marubeni Citizen-Cincom, Inc.

And if you want 2 turrets, the Miyano BNJ is my absolute favorite Miyano, and left over from before Miyano was taken over.

https://youtu.be/moxGpPfxDOM

Thanks for that suggestion. It is doing some very interesting ( and unique ) machining that may be helpful.

Got off the phone with the area rep and those machines are surprisingly price competitive with the other listed machines. Its work envelope isn't quite as large, but I can think of only 1 project that it wouldn't handle.

Takisawa TS-2000YS. Sub spindle, around 25" Z, about 5" Y, 20 station turret uses same tooling as Mori 20 station, comes with 3 radial and 3 axial live tools and static assortment. tool setters, parts catcher 32iB control, chip conveyor, Kitagawa 6" chucks, 51mm bar capacity. Several currently in stock in So Cal warehouse. Peter Gavino is the local rep. If you message me I can get you his contact information.

If I was looking for another / newer twin turret lathe right now, Nak would likely be high on my list, but the OP mentioned issues with Methods?

Is this a normal sentiment, or more doo to this guys location? (boonies)

I'm in the Great Lakes, and would expect good service here.
???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Takamaz XY-120+ is another to look at. It has a dumb sub-turret and X2 axis on the sub-spindle run by vanilla Fanuc control. That gives it lots of capability at a good price point. Might be a bit tight on length for what you are looking for.

TAKAMAZ XY-120 Plus - yuasa-intl

I've been running an okuma l-3000 for almost a year now and for the most part I love it. The y axis wedge set up can be a bit frustrating at times because the y axis looses travel the closer you get to the spindle center line. Overall I really like the machine and I really enjoy the one touch programming.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

I've been running an okuma l-3000 for almost a year now and for the most part I love it. The y axis wedge set up can be a bit frustrating at times because the y axis looses travel the closer you get to the spindle center line. Overall I really like the machine and I really enjoy the one touch programming.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

AH! Never heard of / though of that issue before!
Good to know!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Mori NLX2000SY Good steel, crap service.
Okuma L3000MYW-e No personal experience with Okuma but seem to be good machines.
Nakamura-Tome AS200LMYS The brand seems to have good reputation, but the distributor has a history of souring relations with builders ( Methods )and I'd be concerned with future service issues.
Mazak QT-EZ8 Not sure on this machine as its the first year, and I don't fancy being the Guinea pig. Not available until EOY.
Doosan Puma 2100SY I like my dealer, and service on the Daewoo was great ( although rarely needed ). Difficult to find.
Tsugami M08SY Ticks all of the spec boxes, but seems to be very underpowered compared to everything else. Is readily available.

I used to work for Doosan, so I'm a little biased although most folk know that Okuma is my preferred brand. With that said. The Boxway Puma lathes are usually in short supply, and get snapped up fast. The Lynx 2100LY and SY are easier to find. With that said, if you order one, the current delivery times are putting out sometime around December.

Because of your familiarity with Doosan and your good rapport with the dealer that would be my 1st recommendation even tho, if buying for myself, it'd be the Okuma in a flash.

OP mentioned issues with Methods?

Is this a normal sentiment, or more doo to this guys location? (boonies)

Nak is Methods cash cow, if they fuck that up they are royally screwed. But that doesn't mean service is great everywhere, it's always up to who's in your area.

Based on this recent PM thread, I would check with a shop or two that has a newer Tsugami M08SY before buying, as it seems there might be some shortcomings with the fanuc integration?

I've got a Doosan PUMA 2600SY and a couple 220 LYNX machines, and can't say enough good things about them.

I've seen a few newer Nak's up close and spoken to the operators, and am still convinced you cannot find a more rigid, finer machine. I've also hear very positive feedback on Takisawa and Miyano subspindle machines.

I don't know one Okuma subspindle machine owner who has been disappointed with their purchase.

I would never touch anything new, especially that MAZAK, as I think it was touted as being an ECO series machine somewhere it their literature.

I would definitely consider service in your area, as you'll need it sooner or later with more complex machines like these...

And Mori service in general seems to be lacking in most parts of our country, unless you have a bunch of their machines on your floor.

Mike

Back