What's new
What's new

"SMEC" Machine Tools

Mickey_D

Stainless
An equipment sales guy dropped by last week - Doosan used to be their main line but after all of the juggling of two years ago they lost Doosan and took up Samsung. I looked at the Samsung machines two years ago at IMTS and they seemed like pretty nice machines but I did not see their booth this year. I asked him about it and he commented that due to licensing and name ownership they rebranded to SMEC and I tried not to laugh but failed miserably. This has to be one of the worst brand names ever.

Instead of nice looking Korean machine tools with a rising reputation the following things came to mind. Just the sound of the name makes you think of something nasty - like "That is some nasty smec that I stepped in" or "There is some funky smec growing in my coolant tank" or "I caught a bad case of smec and had to get a shot of penicillin and a hammer to get rid of it". How much sul did they drink when they settled on this name? Can you imagine the look on the American reps faces when they learned of the new name? I am sure that these are nice machines but what the hell were they thinking.

An equipment sales guy dropped by last week - Doosan used to be their main line but after all of the juggling of two years ago they lost Doosan and took up Samsung. I looked at the Samsung machines two years ago at IMTS and they seemed like pretty nice machines but I did not see their booth this year. I asked him about it and he commented that due to licensing and name ownership they rebranded to SMEC and I tried not to laugh but failed miserably. This has to be one of the worst brand names ever.

Instead of nice looking Korean machine tools with a rising reputation the following things came to mind. Just the sound of the name makes you think of something nasty - like "That is some nasty smec that I stepped in" or "There is some funky smec growing in my coolant tank" or "I caught a bad case of smec and had to get a shot of penicillin and a hammer to get rid of it". How much sul did they drink when they settled on this name? Can you imagine the look on the American reps faces when they learned of the new name? I am sure that these are nice machines but what the hell were they thinking.

I'm pretty sure Red Dwarf aired in Canada... "Rimmer you Smeg head!"...

You are gunna want to ping Wrustle about the Samsung.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

He mentioned something about them but never gave any details.........he bought that Samsung VMC a little while back.............she givin' him some grief?

I guess this ties in with this here. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/smart-machine-tool-brand-357320/?highlight=smart

Having looked at all the Korean offerings, only one that made any real sense to me to go with was Doosan.
Maybe in some parts of the US if there's good service with a dealer that's sold/supported them for years Hwacheon would be interesting, maybe Hyundai-wia too.

Asia. Gotta love the language differences!

Some have run with the names as are pronounced "Fuck Yu" or "Fuck We" and not even spelled - anglicized, anyway - all that differently.

A little bit more care?

Sounded like "KWANG Da Say" for dual-name-registered Conducive Group (Asia) Ltd.

And even meant the same.

The Chinese characters are not commonly used ones, but indicate "One who helps another achieve a goal". "To build a bridge" or "Consultant".

As we were and did do. Either language. Or both at once.

Some foreign makers have a good sounding name to em', Kitamura and Mori Seiki have a nice ring to em IMO. We're all used to seeing the 'Murican branded imports: Chicago, Pittsburgh, Johnson. But the one's that bug me are when the AMERICAN companies try to sound Asian, like Amera-Seiki.

When we were shopping for our last VMC, Samsung came up. Quality and support aside, everyone was a little put off by having a "Samsung" machining center, in the way that you would be if you bought a "Macintosh" VMC or a "LG (Life's Good!)" VMC. And you know every year our guys would be asking for the next model up so they can have a better camera or touch screen that's 1/4" wider....

Some foreign makers have a good sounding name to em', Kitamura and Mori Seiki have a nice ring to em IMO. We're all used to seeing the 'Murican branded imports: Chicago, Pittsburgh, Johnson. But the one's that bug me are when the AMERICAN companies try to sound Asian, like Amera-Seiki.

When we were shopping for our last VMC, Samsung came up. Quality and support aside, everyone was a little put off by having a "Samsung" machining center, in the way that you would be if you bought a "Macintosh" VMC or a "LG (Life's Good!)" VMC. And you know every year our guys would be asking for the next model up so they can have a better camera or touch screen that's 1/4" wider....

It gets comical. Both "sides" are, after all, humans with much the same appreciation of a good joke. Asians in general are just a tad more guarded as to whom they dare risk sharing one with.

After all, if your adjacent neighbours have BEEN "the neighbours" for four generations already, not wise to piss each other off and make a problem for the NEXT four generations. Too hard to pick up stakes and relocate, historically. See Stefano Gabbana, current-era and the probable death of D&G.

On a more nuanced note, though hardly subtle, an acquaintance's lovely Chinese bride gifted him with an "appropriate Chinese name".

Half the dinner table was choking over trying not to crack up laughing outright when he introduced himself. Paused. Then explained;

It means "premature ejaculation".

Undaunted lovely wife arches one eyebrow and announces to all-hands:

Well. That IS your problem!

As I said. Humans. Some training seems to have been in order to earn a better name?

You'd have to know the wimmin's Union is multi-ethnic, even known to delegate for better shared success? A Chinese husband's Seniour wife and MOTHER ordinarily selected his "Junior wife" for him, back in the day. Only Concubines were his call.

Much the same under the skin, humans are, after all. Or IN it, at least..

:)

It is funny that one of the most popular brands on the forum (Brother) is associated with printers and sewing machines to way more people than it is to machine tools. A name does have a lot to do with how successful a brand or product will be (look at how much work goes into naming cars). I think Ford's sales would take the Tidy Bowl cruise if they had rebranded to SMEC - don't know how many folks would buy a brand new SMEC F-250 King Ranch Edition if SMEC was spelled out in 8" letters on the tailgate. I think it would be money well spent to hire a GOOD marketing firm to help select a better name than that.

Yeah, thats on a par with Brook cutting tools and DOOGEEE mobile phones. What the fuck were companies like that thinking?

everyone was a little put off by having a "Samsung" machining center, in the way that you would be if you bought a "Macintosh" VMC

Why?
Samsung was licensed to build Mori Seiki cnc machines for decades. And when the contract expired, I believe they bought the rights to keep making the "same" machines but under the Samsung brand.
So all of those Mori's out there that people loved and were rock solid...yep, built by Samsung.

Why?
Samsung was licensed to build Mori Seiki cnc machines for decades. And when the contract expired, I believe they bought the rights to keep making the "same" machines but under the Samsung brand.
So all of those Mori's out there that people loved and were rock solid...yep, built by Samsung.

I'm sure they're great machines! I'm just saying that by name alone, That's the first thing common folk think of is their electronics.

Some foreign makers have a good sounding name to em', Kitamura and Mori Seiki have a nice ring to em IMO..

Yeah, Takisawa has a nice ring to it...

I actually posted about Corsa bakkies on another post here. They were always Opel brand, and in the UK Vauxhall, but changed over to Chevrolet being under the GM banner. Opel has since gone under over here and some independent dealerships have tried to revive it and keep it going. But the Corsa, it was a small car or a bakkie, has stayed with Chevrolet. When under the Opel brand you saw new one's all over the place... since it has changed to the "Chevrolet Utility" not so much. Maybe we are more brand orientated than we realise.

I'm sure they're great machines! I'm just saying that by name alone, That's the first thing common folk think of is their electronics.

True, they do make 90% of all tv screens that mfg's slap on their tv's. And damn near all cell phone screens.

I had a KIA bicycle in collitch circa 1980, they weren't even known for bicycles then in the US.

"Kick In Ass" is really nothing I would want plastered on the back of said bike
whilst riding down the road.....:skep:

I will not comment on how SMEC sounds like, but I know that the name SMEC came from (Samsung Machine tools Engineering Company) and due to Samsung being a trademarked name, the company kept it simple and went with SMEC. Visit esmecamerica.com for more details. SMEC is here to stay, the name may be different but the machines are the same as they always were. some love them and some hate them.

Back