What's new
What's new

SMEC VS DMC, Hwacheon, cnc lathe

Dukerc51

Aluminum
New shop starting out. I have an older supermax lathe for turning now. It runs great but the turret is getting wore out. I have to rebuild it. I am looking at a new lathe. I have quotes from DMC,Hwacheon, and just recently SMEC. I am looking for a 8" chuck machine at least 2" through. I run off a phase converter so I can max run a 20 hp spindle as of now. Would you guys even consider a SMEC lathe with all thats going on with the brand? The DMC is a bobcat so it's the smaller 8" machine they offer. The Hwacheon is a Cutex 160B. The DMC seems like a nice machine but the dealer up here isn't selling them anymore and I would be getting one of the last ones they have. These machines go from mid 60k to 70k on pricing. Part of me wants to buy two old Okuma Cadets and I'd still have money leftover for a mill. I do turn some tool steel but I don't think I necessarily need a box way machine.

We bought two Hwacheon HT230BLYSMC a couple years ago. Its been an experience. Will I do it again? Probably.

A simpler machine would probably be much better.

We have (3) 2014ish vintage SamsungSL35 lathes now. I like to never miss an opportunity to bash them... Why anyone would invest 2021 dollars in copycat 1989 tech is beyond me.

How long have the dealers sold these machines respectively? Samsung/SMEC, DMC, and Hwacheon always seem to be coming & going from different dealers. Translation = Good luck getting parts/service support long term.

Why have you not already gotten quotes on newer Japanese machines?

My money? Vintage Okuma, Mori-Seiki, etc... They'll still be better machines than a new SMEC/DMC, and you'll know exactly who to call for parts/service support.

I like the idea of more than one spindle on the floor.
The lathes you've mentioned are pretty good. I worked for Doosan and they made a great 8" chuck lathe for the money.
Box ways are nice, but not necessary, as I've seen roller guide machines tackle steel and stainless with no trouble.

However, buying two older machines and having money for a VMC is attractive. You mentioned Okuma, which is my preferred brand, but any decent lathe, would be ok if it were cared for properly. Two of those and a VMC would give your shop a LOT of capability.

We have a SMEC SL20E, since 2017. Turn inconels, stainless tight tol all day. Have had turret issue 2 times both due to crashes other than that no complaints for the money. If your doing job shop low qty its fine, if your running 1000's of the same part....well its not the machine for you. Our other lathes are HAAS and its far better than those. Might also want to consider doosans, similar budget, good support, especially in the northeast. Dont regret buying the smec tho, alot of shops near us have them and they are exactly what they claim to be, a decent, accurate machine for a budget, its not lightning fast, it doesnt come with bells an whistles and it works. If your looking for fast rapids and lightning tool changes then its not for you.

We bought two Hwacheon HT230BLYSMC a couple years ago. Its been an experience. Will I do it again? Probably.

A simpler machine would probably be much better.

Would you care to share more about this? Did you have issues with Hwacheon? Or was it just getting into a machine that complex that gave you problems?

For the purpose of this thread, I think the OP should go with the used okumas.

We have Mori NLX-sy machines and a newer swiss. Its not complex to us. Complex for the builder.

For the purpose of this thread, I think the OP should go with the used okumas.

We have Mori NLX-sy machines and a newer swiss. Its not complex to us. Complex for the builder.

Although i dont usually agree with buying used machines (never know if it was someone elses problem child),but in ops case id say having leftover $ for a VMC would be the way to go, milled parts dont need turning but turned parts often need milled features, flats, hex, bolt cirlces, etc. Id go with 2 used lathes and a vmc over 1-2 new lathes and no mill anyday.

I bought a HT230 long bed, sub, Y axis machine. The one issue I've had is the hydraulic return line under the sub. It's in a cable race that gets beat up by nests of chips, it cuts a lot of 304 and 316. We raised the issue to our dealer and they raised it to Hwacheon, they re-engineered the race way and made it much tougher, hasn't skipped a beat since.

The machine cuts very well, is fast, has plenty of power and produces an excellent finish. It's just a basic fanuc control, and it does move as it warms up. I love the damned thing. half index turret, tool touch off works well, for what we do it's a great machine. It's my go to lathe.

It's basic, but it's basic done well. If you are looking for premium features yeah the Japanese machines are there, but they are a bunch more money for the same basic layout.

My dealer is Maruka, they have been great.

I'm a fan of Okuma, but I couldn't justify the $$. If you are looking at the HT230 you can buy with confidence, it's a well put together if basic machine. It's VERY similar mechanically to a y axis Mori NL or maybe the SL..series lathe I think, the biggest difference is the live tool is a standard gear train not a direct drive.

I have been looking at some late 90's SL250's. They seem well built. I have an older YCM mill but still I'd like two of everything. Gives you flexibility and you can run multiple machines. I saw a couple Mori SL204?? They had live tools and a 15hp spindle. Are all the Mori's ok? I see some Okuma Heritage machines that would work as well. The dealer just sold a Hwacheon HT200 I was looking at. I do worry about getting parts I've seen it first hand it sucks not being able to get parts. I will give YCM credit they still talk to me about my old machine.

FYI is see you are in maine, google search machine shop auctions in MA. There is one coming up with a bunch of older mori's in december.

Going to look at the Hwacheon today. The problem I'm having is the payment on something used for 20k is more than the new machine at 65k. To go used I get start up rates so the interest is crazy. Still I could pay off a 20k machine a lot faster. The new machine is two months out with the ports being a mess. I am working a deal to get a used machine here until it shows. I found a Victor V26 local for cheap money. It seems like its built well and not run to death.

Back