What's new
What's new

SMW Indexer program HELP!!!!

Pro-Tec Tool

Plastic
I have a SMW System 30 programmable indexer mounted on my Fadal that I need to use to mill a cam profile. The manual says that by using OP Code 6&7 the indexer will rotate while the machine axis is in motion. The manual does not state the program sequence for these codes and I have tried numerous combinations without success. I talked to SMW and they told me that my 1990 vintage indexer is obsolete and they can't help me. I said thanks for the support. Anybody out there have any experience with using these OP Codes??

Depending on how risky you want to make the program, you can have the indexer start rotating while making an XYZ move. This relies on YOU to be sure the feeds are coordinated. Definitely shut off the feedrate override for this move. But it can be done.

Use a spare relay on the fadal to trigger the SMW, not the typical index command (else it will wait for the completion signal).

It may be easier with the SMW params - I think those will make it so you dont need the external relay & it will force the "complete" signal right after you give it a command.

There's a large board inside the cabinet (top left of the cab) that you can add relays to.

Somewhere I have the M-code to relay number mappings... But you can squeak a little info out of the manuals for setting up a tool probe & spindle probe. That requires an additional relay to switch the probe inputs.

While you can get an extra m-function board, you can do a whole lot with the one in there now.

Maintenance manual, section 9 details M60-M69 as supplied on all machines through the 1100 board. It details the reset options (pause for completion, or just keep running) and pin connections.

With those few pages you should have no problem getting the fadal to index parts and brew a pot of coffee for you.

For someone who runs across this thread in a feeble attempt to find a manual for the RT5CPY indexer and/or the System 30 control.... I have them and can help you out. Feel free to give me a PM or email at deckel.dvd @ gmail.com

I know on most 4th axis match movements with either X,Y, or Z need a G93 to work simultaneously.

Back