What's new
What's new

Snapping M4 taps

KristianSilva

Aluminum
Hi,

I have a problem with snapping M4 taps, I think what is happening is that after the first hole or two swarf is building up on the tap and causing the tap to jam up with swarf. How can I clear this swarf?

Material is mild steel and the tap is a spiral flute tap for steel and im using the correct cutting data.

Thanks

Turn spindle on clockwise and counterclockwise really fast several times usually clears chips off of spiral flute taps.

If it doesn't, maybe rig up an airblast and do the same thing.

Another idea that might not work but just came to me, put a wire brush on the table somewhere and run the tap counterclockwise against it, it might pull the stringy chips off of the tap?

I learned the hard way with spiral flute taps, don't peck tap. You will end up with 5 stringy chips all packed in the flute all at once, and thats a lot harder to get rid of than 1 long one.... if it doesn't break while tapping first.

Hi,

I have a problem with snapping M4 taps, I think what is happening is that after the first hole or two swarf is building up on the tap and causing the tap to jam up with swarf. How can I clear this swarf?

Material is mild steel and the tap is a spiral flute tap for steel and im using the correct cutting data.

Thanks

How deep are you going with the spiral flute tap? In my experience, they aren't much good at deep holes, the chips will wrap around the tap. If you're going 1xD to 1.5xD then you're fine.

For starters what is your retract height after each hole?
I assume you are rigid tapping? Make your retract height higher so that it spins CCW longer out the hole. Normally helps me to get rid of the chips on the tap.

How deep are you going with the spiral flute tap? In my experience, they aren't much good at deep holes, the chips will wrap around the tap. If you're going 1xD to 1.5xD then you're fine.

Im going 2xD + 3 pitch lead so 10.1mm.

I assume you are rigid tapping? Make your retract height higher so that it spins CCW longer out the hole. Normally helps me to get rid of the chips on the tap.

Yes I am rigid tapping, I am retracting to z100. as I have to clear a boss in between holes. How do I program the reverse spindle on a haas control whi;le still in a canned cycle?

Coolant mix richness and flow? Aimed right at the tap?

Are you rigid tapping or using a tension/compression holder? And what's the minor diameter of the starting hole? Are the holes clean, or could there be swarf still in the holes that conflicts with the tap entering and depth?

Peck tapping should be fine as long as you come fully out of the hole each peck and allow time for the shorter chip to be flushed off the tap.

Coolant mix richness and flow? Aimed right at the tap?

Are you rigid tapping or using a tension/compression holder? And what's the minor diameter of the starting hole? Are the holes clean, or could there be swarf still in the holes that conflicts with the tap entering and depth?

Peck tapping should be fine as long as you come fully out of the hole each peck and allow time for the shorter chip to be flushed off the tap.

Coolant mix is at 10% and the coolant is aimed at the tap, however im working on a TM-1P so you could piss harder than the coolant...

I am rigid tapping. Im drilling the hole to 3.2mm for an M4 x 0.7 tap. Im pretty sure the holes are clean but thats something to check. The drill is going deep enough also.

Im going 2xD + 3 pitch lead so 10.1mm.

Yes I am rigid tapping, I am retracting to z100. as I have to clear a boss in between holes. How do I program the reverse spindle on a haas control whi;le still in a canned cycle?

What I meant was how high does the tap retract above the part when it is still reversing out of the hole? So the start R value before you start tapping. I have found that letting it reverse a bit higher off the part with the coolant blasting directly at the tap takes 99% of the chips off.
As a rule of thumb I don't start the hole closer than 10mm above to let the chips get blown off. Most of the times that I see chips sticking to the tap I just increase this value a bit so that it gets a few more turns out of the part.

Last edited:
Coolant mix is at 10% and the coolant is aimed at the tap, however im working on a TM-1P so you could piss harder than the coolant...

I am rigid tapping. Im drilling the hole to 3.2mm for an M4 x 0.7 tap. Im pretty sure the holes are clean but thats something to check. The drill is going deep enough also.

So why 3.2mm rather than 3.3mm for the pilot hole? That could be your problem right there.

And you should be able to improve coolant flow, do you have any blockages in the coolant lines from a buildup of chips? Do you have the coolant sump clean and no clogged traps?

I don't have any experience with the Toolroom mill series, not sure how their "following" errors are with regard to tapping. If there's a question, going to a holder with a little compliance may help with thread accuracy and tap life, unless you're trying to tap to the very bottom of the hole (which is bad design if that's what's called out).

So why 3.2mm rather than 3.3mm for the pilot hole? That could be your problem right there.

And you should be able to improve coolant flow, do you have any blockages in the coolant lines from a buildup of chips? Do you have the coolant sump clean and no clogged traps?

Agreed, my Drill and Tap table says a 3.3mm drill gives a 77% thread which is pretty tight for steel. 3.2mm drill is super tight.

Teryk

I do this too, in deeper holes (longer chips).
For a shallow tap operation I can go R = 0.2 but for the deeper holes I'll go as much as R = 1.0

Do you have air-blast? It actually helps to blow the chips and junk off of the tap if it's aimed correctly.
I have an aluminum job on the mill right now that has a bunch of 1.3" deep 1/2-13 holes, the air-blast made all the difference.

Back