What's new
What's new

Soft gummy mild sheet steel

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I make a part that is just some 16ga hr mild steel. The part is formed into a 5/16" x 13/16" angle by anywhere from 5" to 12" long.

After cutting to length, there are 2 or 3 slots, 3/16 x .350 on the face of the part. The problem is, this material is so gummy it just sucks. I've tried fast, I've tried slow, and it just likes to push around and smear.

Currently I am using a .156 diameter, 3flute carbide endmill, helixing in and then milling the slot to finish dimensions. The part is fairly well held however it does have some spring in the part.

What would you do to mill a small slot in that gummy metal.
I appreciate your help.

Make a punch....

Honestly, not trying to be a smarta$$, but I would use my CNC to make a punch and then use my mill to make something other than that part.

Lasering isn't an option?

I hate gummy shit. It's thin, you might have to sandwich it between something sacrificial, that will help some.

Maybe drilling it out first, at least there would be less material left to push around, lol.

Other than that, the normal shit- low or reverse helix cutters, slow down the rpm and bump up the chipload, very sharp cutters, etc.

Whatever you do this time won't work next time anyway...

edit to add: +1 on punching if the deformation of edges isn't an issue.

Punch.

CarlBoyd

LOL,tried that years ago. I'm not clever enough to figure out a stop system that can be adjusted in .001 increments for the die I made. It punched great, but took 30 minutes for each new hole location. Multiply that by 8 different part sizes with either 2 or 3 slots, so it just made it a long punch press set up, but there are rarely more than 25 per part so every 25 pieces, reset up again.

I may have to look back at that again. As it is, it takes about a minute to mill the slots in, then I just buff them off smooth, so those long setups on the punch press are a bitch.

Back