What's new
What's new

Something stopped working on my haas SL10

Dave K

Diamond
Problem is, I'm not sure what stopped. When you first turn on the machine, you'll hear a "click" and the a slow "whiring" sound as the fans ( I'm assuming it's the fans) fire up, and that whiring sounds starts to wind up to a higher pitch. Then when you hit the power up button, you hear the hydraulics turn on.
That's the way it sounds when everything is normal.

Now when I turn it on, I hear that click, but no whirring sound that winds up. Everything else works as it should.

Well, I was programming something today, and that whiring sounds suddenly stopped. No error code of any kind. I got a very brief smell of something electrical burning ( something fried), yet, the machine will still run perfectly without any issues.

Could I have just burnt out a part of a board that runs my fans? Any other ideas?

Open up the electrical cabinet and give everythibng a visual and olefactory inspection. You might be able to sort out what component it was with your eyes and nose, or at least narrow down the area the failure happened in. Report back with results and/or pictures.

Open up the electrical cabinet and give everythibng a visual and olefactory inspection. You might be able to sort out what component it was with your eyes and nose, or at least narrow down the area the failure happened in. Report back with results and/or pictures.

thanks npolanosky. I checked that as soon as it happened. I'm not picking up any burnt odor from anywhere in particular, in fact, it's completely gone at this point. Can't find any burn marks or dark areas from burns on anything. Machine is still running and making parts today, lol. No errors or anything.

Problem is, I'm not sure what stopped. When you first turn on the machine, you'll hear a "click" and the a slow "whiring" sound as the fans ( I'm assuming it's the fans) fire up, and that whiring sounds starts to wind up to a higher pitch. Then when you hit the power up button, you hear the hydraulics turn on.
That's the way it sounds when everything is normal.

We have a 1998 Nakamura WT-250 that will occasionally blow the breaker for the cooling fans and thus, no 'whirring'. The machine will run fine for a couple of hours then I'll start getting over-temp alarms. The fans are there for a reason. Maybe you burned up a fan?

my SL10 has two noise makers ,,, so if its still making parts it has to be the spindle fan ,,, I have seen them on ebay for like $120 ... I have had to clean it a few times but it keep working .

I'm not picking up any burnt odor from anywhere in particular, in fact, it's completely gone at this point.

It's possible that it was all a dream. That we are an imagination of ourselves, experiencing ourselves subjectively. That there is no such thing as life, we are only hallucinations of our Ego's. Life is but a dream.....

Or you smelt a burned up electrical component, and now you aren't seeing it. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

R

It's possible that it was all a dream. That we are an imagination of ourselves, experiencing ourselves subjectively. That there is no such thing as life, we are only hallucinations of our Ego's. Life is but a dream.....
Or you smelt a burned up electrical component, and now you aren't seeing it. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.
R

Oh, man... I've the pleasure and feel blessed for making the acquaintance and friendship of a fair number of people from this forum. DaveK is one of those people on this forum that I know personally, in real life. You have no way of knowing this, but that will really fsck with his sanity for a bit. LOL. :willy_nilly:

DaveK - it is very likely the spindle motor fan, or the main cooling fan in the cabinet. Easy way to make it expose itself is run it low gear with higher speed and a series of start, stop, reverse start, stop, forward start, stop...

My deepest apologies Dave. I'm just being my usual smart assed self. You should never listen to people who believe they know anything-at all.

R

We have a 1998 Nakamura WT-250 that will occasionally blow the breaker for the cooling fans and thus, no 'whirring'. The machine will run fine for a couple of hours then I'll start getting over-temp alarms. The fans are there for a reason. Maybe you burned up a fan?

The "whirring" or "hum" that I usually hear winding up, sounds more heavy duty than just fans. I guess it could just be that, but I'm not suspecting that. Haas was supposed to come in this week to check it but never showed up. We'll see what next week brings. Still running fine.

My deepest apologies Dave. I'm just being my usual smart assed self. You should never listen to people who believe they know anything-at all.

R

LMAO!!! I have no problem at all with your response. I found it humerous. If the spindle motor fan is pretty large, then that very well could be it. Are the fans supposed to run all the time, or do they only kick on when the temps reach a certain degree?

the spindle motor fan runs all the time. it's the biggest fan in the machine. its mounted to the back side of the spindle motor.

Back