Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by billmac View Post
    In my opinion the Haas team has performed very well, far in excess of many people's expectations. Perhaps Gene Haas was persuaded by somebody that F1 wasn't that tough of an engineering challenge, but it is and always has been. He has a reasonably good car, but to take the next step to a truly competitive car will need a massive step up in engineering capability that he will need to recruit. The question is - does he have the funds and the foolishness to go to that next level? For the sake of his company I hope not.
    That's my "vibe" or take.

Someone somewhere close to him had to sell him on the "Dream" in the first place.

I have been involved with two different sports on the international level and coached in one sport at the international competition level (and my son has represented the USA in a different sport internationally also). But what people eventually figure out is that each linear incremental improvement in international rankings requires an exponential/geometric amount of $ and training and dedication and competition experience to match it.[I know coaches that sell their clients on the Olympic Dream and that works for a number of years but when they finally don't qualify for the Olympics after millions of dollars and many years for want of trying, said sponsors and clients will eventually kick the sand castle over. I do the exact opposite, not over sell the dream and the folks that have trained with me are always "pleasantly surprised" how far they get, rather than be dissapointed.]

So I am super impressed in what Gene Haas has been able to achieve in a really short amount of time but to reliably nibble away at that 4th position is going to require about 32X the cash + ten years of competition experience and then to learn the "Dark Arts" of being able to bend the rules as artfully as Mercedes or Ferrari can at the highest levels.

The fact that Gene is quoted as being "Depressed" about it means he is a sane and rational man and understands that to bridge that gap is probably a near insane thing to contemplate... (unless he brings something radically new or different to the table). So the takeaway is does he enjoy competing/taking part or does he care more about being number 1,2 or 3? 'Cuz the latter will and can completely destroy/ unmake a man and be their undoing. It is daunting and not for the faint of heart.

2. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a subtle irony in the guy who built the best business by building mediocre machines - transitioning to an industry(F1) where you absolutely can't build the best business without building the best machines.

4. Likes MotoX, Bobw, dstryr, swatkins, Milland and 6 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 Milland
    "But every so often you'll get some incredible dicing"

Correct, but is "every so often" frequently enough to save the product?

At the cheap end of 4 wheel motorsport, limited to a single model, whatever it's called in
    North America, it's wheel to wheel from flag to flag. You could buy the whole field for the price of one F1 gearbox.

I prefer the bikes. The IOM is different because of the danger.
    MotoGP is exciting, with 500m run off areas etc.
    But even here the most incidents, the most excitement, is not Rossi and Marquez.
    The "budget" Moto3 125cc series is where they are six abreast at the final corner.

6. Likes xlr8tr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    I wonder how much better their machines could be with a billion invested in the company instead of F1.
    I've always been curious- how is Haas doing with sales?

Their marketing is, by far, the best in the industry. Easy pricing, really good instructional materials, auto-like financing so anyone can snag one. From a pure business perspective, Haas should be killing it in sales when the rest of the industry is sorta stuck in 1980 as far as the customer facing side of the business is concerned. I know Instagram has lots of people running Haas and they dominate the New Machine Day! posts...

But really, does anyone know if they are actually moving metal at a faster rate then before?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Azon a velemenyen vagyok hogy ezen a foldon senki sincs akinek lenne egy apro szunyogfaszra valo kepessege ahhoz hogy
    kitalalja mi az amit mondani akarsz!
    Are you trying to confuse google? It does have a problem with translating some of this ....just sayin'

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post

Their marketing is, by far, the best in the industry. Easy pricing, really good instructional materials, auto-like financing so anyone can snag one. From a pure business perspective, Haas should be killing it in sales when the rest of the industry is sorta stuck in 1980 as far as the customer facing side of the business is concerned. I know Instagram has lots of people running Haas and they dominate the New Machine Day! posts...

But really, does anyone know if they are actually moving metal at a faster rate then before?
    That's a really good question. I've pretty much decided that if I get another machine it'll be a Doosan or similar, lower end but still better than a Haas. I'm not happy about this, I'd rather buy American, but I don't see the improvements in design and construction that I'd need to stay with them (same damn wimpy spindle as when they began!).

They do excel in sales and service, and it's great having someone like Haastec on these boards. I hope they can get the machinery end up to speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Are you trying to confuse google? It does have a problem with translating some of this ....just sayin'

dee
    ;-D

Nah Dee, I was just hoping that the idiot ( who's NOT from Aland Islands ) "might" understand some of it.
    On second thought tho, I don't believe it would have mattered to him one bit.

11. Likes machtool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post

They are killing it. And even when they are "slow" - their margins are breathtaking compared to the rest of the industry. It is without question the "best business" in the machine tool industry.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nah Dee, I was just hoping that the idiot ( who's NOT from Aland Islands ) "might" understand some of it.
    On second thought tho, I don't believe it would have mattered to him one bit.
    well if mikes were used meticulously on parts of insects, maybe one can measure someone's understanding. But i am no position to judge one's ability to assess the complexities of F1 engineering. Some of the stuff is Pure F'n Magic. Did you try to paste that into google translate? It is amusing how wrong the translation is.

"It is my birthday that there is no one in this fold who would have an apro sunshine to see
    What a thing you want to say!"

just sayin' nothing to do with "szunyogfasznyi kepessegekkel"

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Doesn't Haas use hand-me-down cars? I seem to have heard that somewhere.
    Used Ladies are generally a better deal than inventing one's own and anything that at least worked last year for SOMEBODY is better than... etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dee
    ;-D
    It does not confuse Google in the least. 0.65 seconds it finds exactly one entry (kinda rare, actually..).

This thread.

Translation to Urdu has to be asked for specifically:

ازوں ا ویلیمنیں واگیوک ھوگی ازیں ا فولدوں سنکی سینکس اکینک لانے ایگے اپرو سزنیوگفسزرا والو کپسسگے احھوز ھوگی کتللجا می از امیت موندانی اکرسز

Otherwise it defaulted to Italian for output. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just sayin' nothing to do with "szunyogfasznyi kepessegekkel"

dee
    ;-D
    Well, you know what it said, and I was just hoping for the moron to at least spend some time digesting it instead of posting
    some of his normal trash.

To stay partially on subject though, I care for F1 only to the extent that it can be entertaining at times, let the entertainment come during or after the race.
    Kitten OTOH is just a headache nuisance every time he types something regardless of the topic.

17. Likes 706jim liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I care for F1 only to the extent that..
    It has actually given us better tires and brakes for-sure, transmissions, maybe.

Long lead, not short, largely adaptations only, and certainly not the only source of hardball stress testing. Still..

19. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking as Brit - it does the heart good to see a Yank struggling

RULE BRITANNIA - Baby

21. Likes NAST555, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post

RULE BRITANNIA - Baby
    Heck, then you're really dissing the Italians, as most of the design and build is Ferrari or Dallara. Better furl that flag, citrus boy...

23. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Heck, then you're really dissing the Italians, as most of the design and build is Ferrari or Dallara. Better furl that flag, citrus boy...
    MMMM? possibly, .BOTOH hand a lot of the Dallara F1 brains are British, .........we're quite good at it you know
    Ref List of Formula One constructors - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MMMM? possibly, .BOTOH hand a lot of the Dallara F1 brains are British, .........we're quite good at it you know
    Ref List of Formula One constructors - Wikipedia
    That's because almost every British F1 constructor is really a James Bond villain, so you guys are experienced in the dual arts of deviousness and ludicrous-tech construction.

Look at that little pleasure-palace in Woking, does anyone think all that money and effort was put into that lair just to construct F1 cars? No! It's actually a secret base for Ron D. to take over the world, or it was until an AMERICAN came along and disposed of 'ol Ron*.

And then there's Frank W. Notice whenever we see a closeup of him in the pits he's stroking a white cat? Open your eyes, man!

And don't get me started on Christian H. Him and his henchman Newey, he of the carbon fiber teeth**. Red Bull? Mind control fluid, right out of the pages of OHMSS!

* Yes, I know it was actually the Bahrainis but thematically that sucks.

** Oh, sorry, that's just standard issue English teeth, my apologies. I guess it's to withstand the terrible British beer. Sam Adams, baby!
    Jeez, I need some sleep...

26. Likes Monarchist, xlr8tr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could try putting a bit more Haas Power into it and a bunch more stickers on it and see if that makes it go quicker. Something to boost its spirit you know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Jeez, I need some sleep...
    I think that would be a good idea 1 sheep 2 sheep 3 sheep.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RULE BRITANNIA - Baby
    Industrialists turned F1 attempters... made for some interesting times.

You ... ahem ... DO recall that Tony Vandervell's thinwall bearings were..cough..cough... made under license from cough.. cough.. an American?

Cue John Philip Sousa: "Hands Across the Sea"

File:Hands Across the Sea.ogg - Wikipedia

Simpler times. Short campaign. Some awesome personalities came through the eye of that needle though. Part of what got this then-young lad interested at all..