What's new
What's new

Trouble shooting my Fadal ATC

sidetrack50

Aluminum
Thanks everyone for your help so far, still trying to figure out why my ATC doesn't work. While at cold start position the screen saying I have tool "1" in the spindle (not too really in spindle) I type T 2 tool change, turret moves in place then spindle raises up about an inch or so then stops, at that point I hit jog and the turret retracts and I get about a 2 second fault message for X, Y, or Z then it goes to regular screen with no fault message.

So far I've removed a Watts filter that was leaking air, I cleaned the filter regulator on the incoming air line and change my incoming air hose to galvanized 1/2" pipe to make sure I have enough volume.

Tried looking at the online manuals but its a slow go trying to find my specific problem.
Is there a limit switch somewhere or is it still an air pressure issue, I have it set at 100 lbs.

What happens if you type TC,1 ?

The Z-axis should go to the CS position,
the ATC should extend and the tool should enter the forks in the ATC
The drawbar should release the tool
Z-axis should go up approx 3"
You can then jog the ATC using the CW and CCW buttons.
Pressing Manual will then bring the Z-axis down
The drawbar will retain the tool
ATC will withdraw.

The nose of the spindle I think is approx .050" above the top face of the ATC wheel.

I think your at the point of needing a good Fadal tech. Might be worth asking the folks at ITS or Fadalcnc if they know anybody good in your area.

Have you pulled all the boards, cleaned the contacts? Checked Powersupply voltages? Checked backup battery voltages?

There is a limit switch that prevents the tool turret from being lifted or pushed down by the spindle. If this switch is set too close, you can get e-stops during a tool change, like you are seeing.

The switch is located under the smaller square-ish sheet metal cover over the top of the tool turret.

I had to ream the holes in the switch, in order to gain enough clearance around the mounting bolts to move the switch off the turret shaft slightly.

ToolCat

What happens if you type TC,1 ?

The Z-axis should go to the CS position,
the ATC should extend and the tool should enter the forks in the ATC
The drawbar should release the tool
Z-axis should go up approx 3"
You can then jog the ATC using the CW and CCW buttons.
Pressing Manual will then bring the Z-axis down
The drawbar will retain the tool
ATC will withdraw.

The nose of the spindle I think is approx .050" above the top face of the ATC wheel.

I think your at the point of needing a good Fadal tech. Might be worth asking the folks at ITS or Fadalcnc if they know anybody good in your area.

Have you pulled all the boards, cleaned the contacts? Checked Powersupply voltages? Checked backup battery voltages?

I think I have tried T,1 along with a couple other options, it does everything you said but when in the turret it releases then goes up and stops but not to the position it would need to clear the tools, it goes up an inch or so drops just a bit then stops.

I'm on the road out of state so haven't got into the electrical yet.

I think I'm with you on a tech at this point.

There is a limit switch that prevents the tool turret from being lifted or pushed down by the spindle. If this switch is set too close, you can get e-stops during a tool change, like you are seeing.

The switch is located under the smaller square-ish sheet metal cover over the top of the tool turret.

I had to ream the holes in the switch, in order to gain enough clearance around the mounting bolts to move the switch off the turret shaft slightly.

ToolCat

I did read that about the pressure on the turret plate but I don't see that going on with mine especially when I try a tool change with no tool in the spindle.

I think I have tried T,1 along with a couple other options, it does everything you said but when in the turret it releases then goes up and stops but not to the position it would need to clear the tools, it goes up an inch or so drops just a bit then stops.

I'm on the road out of state so haven't got into the electrical yet.

I think I'm with you on a tech at this point.

Can you jog the Z-axis higher so it will clear a tool? I wonder if it's hitting a soft limit that limits the Z height it will travel too.

Yes I can jog the Z to the higher position I guess its close to the Z tool change height

I think you are right about the soft limit, it stops at about 3" above the Z tab CS position. Does it say somewhere in the manuals where the sensors/limit switches are located?

I think you are right about the soft limit, it stops at about 3" above the Z tab CS position. Does it say somewhere in the manuals where the sensors/limit switches are located?

That sounds about right, as long as it's above the height of the retention knob the ATC can turn under neath the spindle.

It doesn't have sensors/limit switches to limit travel, that's done from the CS position 9start edit)in other words software limits(end edit). Although with mine you can jog past the limits and get a Z-axis error.

Last edited:

Back