What's new
What's new

Source for 2" coolant rated hose between two tanks?

DMSentra

Cast Iron
This mill has a tank on each side of the machine and a 1 7/8" - 2" hose between them. Anyone have a source for hose or know if there's a particular grade of hose needed?

This mill has a tank on each side of the machine and a 1 7/8" - 2" hose between them. Anyone have a source for hose or know if there's a particular grade of hose needed?

I had a big 70 mill with a swimming pool on each side, I used the nylon reinforced hose from home depot, kinda clear blue strings if I recall. I know I got it from home depot and it was either 2 or 2.25"
Never had a leak and worked for about 6 years till I sold the machine.

Check the one safe source from CAT.

We used to buy hose in lengths and cut to suit. It just ordinary fibre reinforced coolant hose thats is used on engines.

Dealers are around most places, only thing is check the size if it is available.

If that does not work look into GATES hoses

Search for a Coupling & Hose company in Eugene. Most towns of decent size will have someone that supply the type of product you are looking for.

I had a big 70 mill with a swimming pool on each side, I used the nylon reinforced hose from home depot, kinda clear blue strings if I recall. I know I got it from home depot and it was either 2 or 2.25"
Never had a leak and worked for about 6 years till I sold the machine.

I am also in need of 1" ID hose to connect the 50 gal tank under a pallet changer to the 250 gal tank on the other side of the machine. And have been contemplating what to use, though I haven't put much thought or effort into it yet.

I used that clear stuff you are talking about years ago on a manual mill and after a year our two (maybe less, can't remember) it became extremely hard. It has never broken or leaked but it turned into hard plastic which would be less than ideal for my tank under the pallet changer which should roll out to easily pull the chip screen.

Your best bet is have flanges welded on to the tanks. Get stainless pipe with flanges welded to fit and bolt them up. Then it will be done right.

We use hose I found in the irrigation section at the local farm store. It's green and clear spiral plastic, no idea what material it's made of. We use the irrigation quick disconnects also, makes it easy to unhook when the tanks need cleaned out.

I use suction hose from the irrigation supply. 6 years and good as new, with my coolant, yours may vary. Don't overthink this, it's a crap shoot. Just like some coolants and paint don't like each other, same with hoses. Impossible to know till you try. I have a Kurt vise without paint because TrimSol turned it to goo. The only paint TrimSol attacked that I know of.

I also have some cheap clear, very low pressure, soft vinyl? tubing that has been in use for 6 years with Trim C320 and it's still like new, not even stained. I think trial and error is your only solution here, it really depends on your coolant and contaminants.

I am also in need of 1" ID hose to connect the 50 gal tank under a pallet changer to the 250 gal tank on the other side of the machine. And have been contemplating what to use, though I haven't put much thought or effort into it yet.

I used that clear stuff you are talking about years ago on a manual mill and after a year our two (maybe less, can't remember) it became extremely hard. It has never broken or leaked but it turned into hard plastic which would be less than ideal for my tank under the pallet changer which should roll out to easily pull the chip screen.

Your best bet is have flanges welded on to the tanks. Get stainless pipe with flanges welded to fit and bolt them up. Then it will be done right.

Um, in a span of 3 minutes (site time) you suggested "hard plumbing" when OP stated he wanted flexible for maintenance?

@OP, no answer for you, but a little google-fu should do the trick....

Last shop I worked at used plain old compressed air hose (goodyear I believe) for a coolant washdown hose. I laughed at boss when he installed it, but 8-9 years later it was still perfect. I used same thing when on my machine when I setup my shop and thats working fine too. I guess traces of oil are not uncommon in air lines so I guess they are made with some oil resistance.

Last shop I worked at used plain old compressed air hose (goodyear I believe) for a coolant washdown hose. I laughed at boss when he installed it, but 8-9 years later it was still perfect. I used same thing when on my machine when I setup my shop and thats working fine too. I guess traces of oil are not uncommon in air lines so I guess they are made with some oil resistance.

I use 1/2 pushlock hose for a washdown hose, works fine. Not sure if the same thing is available in 2".

Thanks for the answers fellas. I went with King nipples to use 1 1/2" vinyl tubing. Changed down to 1 1/2" since 2" around here is special order only and I just can't see any need for 2" flow to equalize the gravity fed level between the 2 tanks. But now on a clamp hunt. On the weekend. Worm drives suck at anything besides super flexible material. Auto stores are useless for this as well as 2 of the hose/fittings store as they need to order them in also. Trade off going to 1 1/2" vs 2" was around 1/2 the cost including replacing the fittings and better availability, but needing to find clamps.

Back