Source for miniature tapered endmill in stock?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Source for miniature tapered endmill in stock?

Any idea where I can get a 12° per side tapered endmill with about a 1/32" tip diameter off the shelf? Carbide preferred, cutting grade 5 Ti. I've checked Harvey and MSC and come up empty. If I can't find one I'll just have to surface the feature with a ball; small quantities and in a hurry.

Thanks,

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Any idea where I can get a 12° per side tapered endmill with about a 1/32" tip diameter off the shelf? Carbide preferred, cutting grade 5 Ti. I've checked Harvey and MSC and come up empty. If I can't find one I'll just have to surface the feature with a ball; small quantities and in a hurry.

Thanks,

-Matt

I don't see a 12° included as a standard, but since it's something they can modify a standard into, they'll usually do a small quantity with a couple day lead time for more or less the same price as a standard.

MITGI products, Industrial Tool Grinding End mill, CNC, Custom | MITGI

3. Likes mhajicek, Mike RzMachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the cost/time depending on your volume, good quality ball endmills are cheap in comparison. It also depends on your surface finish requirements...

I can refer you to my local grinder that I have make most of my tooling... Harvey is pathetic and I feel terrible for you guys that buy from them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    For the cost/time depending on your volume, good quality ball endmills are cheap in comparison. It also depends on your surface finish requirements...

I can refer you to my local grinder that I have make most of my tooling... Harvey is pathetic and I feel terrible for you guys that buy from them.
    Please elaborate.

Delivery time, quality, price? They are our goto for the small (less than .03" typically) circuit board drills and endmills we can't find at MSC....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not seeing a tip diameter that small from Conical Cutting Toolsbut they may be able to whip one or two out quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with their circuit board drills. However, quality and price are both, in my experience, terrible.

I used them in the past for:

keyseat cutters - expensive junk
    dovetail cutters - expensive junk

I did have good luck with a full radius keyseat cutter that I got from them. It ran all 30 pcs, which considering past performance, I was pleased.

Here is a recent example, so it is fresh in my memory.

I needed a somewhat special (not really) dovetail cutter. The wall above the dovetail was taller than most cutters would allow. I had a harvey tool, a 2fl coated 3/16" cutter. It was terribly slow given the neck diameter I ground for clearance. They also cut like crap because they have a 1920's flat cutting face. The best fit for this part from Harvey was a 5/16" 3fl if I remember right. An uncoated was around the $100 mark.

So, 5/16" 3fl that cuts terrible. 2-3 day delivery. For about $115 with shipping.

Emailed my grinder a print on wednesday, got an email friday I could pick it up. I asked if they would ship it, received it monday.

6fl, 3/8", with HELICAL cutting edges as opposed to a flat face, $112 delivered.

They make all of my custom tools, which is, to say, not a lot, a couple/few $k a year.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post

Thanks,

-Matt
    SGS /kyocera Scarb guys has a in house custom shop that turns endmills around in 2-3 days. we used them recently and was extreamly Happy and shocked at the same time. Price wise didnt cost us a little bit more than a standard endmill. ours were od ball rads that left a .010 flat on the bottom of a 1/8 endmill and some 1/4 in ones.

email this guy he's in AZ but a rep for them.
    [email protected]
    His name is Trace

9. Likes Mike RzMachine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to cut them with a ball this time, but I ordered some custom from Frank Mari for next time. Price was much better than I expected.

11. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I buy a lot from Award cutter