What's new
What's new

Speed and feed

Blobis

Plastic
I've got a .625 HSS / Cobolt spot drill then coming in with a .625 HSS Black Oxide drill into 316L. What would be a good speed and feed for those.
Any suggestions would be graet,
Thank you, Bob

You don't say how deep or how many or if coolant, but a safe speed for going say 2-3 diameters deep is 315rpm at 2.21ipm. (0.0035ipt). You could likely bump that up to 0.005 - 0.007ipt if things are working good. Spot drill about the same.

Might suggest cobalt 135 deg drill, but for one or two holes using what you got never hurts.

Dave

I've got a .625 HSS / Cobolt spot drill then coming in with a .625 HSS Black Oxide drill into 316L. What would be a good speed and feed for those.
Any suggestions would be graet,
Thank you, Bob

Ya I have coolant, and going 1 inch deep, 300 parts

I'd suggest starting values for a general HSS drill of Vc12 .15F for that diameter.

Meaning around S245 F37 by what I gave you, would suggest S260 F40 instead.

The F is in millimeter by minute so for inch it should be 1.6.

You cant most certainly go faster but why start your run with a fail.

I would suggest you only spot as big as the web on that 5/8 drill or you'll be burning corners off your drill pretty quick.

300 holes at 1 inch deep I would totally give up on that HSS drill and get 135deg cobalt screw machine length. In fact you'd better get a couple-few unless you're good at sharpening. 350 rpm at 2.5ipm to start. Also I wouldn't spot. No need and work hardening potential. Chamfer after.

Dave

Back