Speed Feed Question With Volumill or Adaptive Clearing Toolpaths
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Speed Feed Question With Volumill or Adaptive Clearing Toolpaths

What's a good rule of thumb for speed and feed increase when you are using volumill or adaptive clearing toolpaths? For example, if I am milling in 304 at 200 SFM and 10 IPM with a 1/2 inch carbide endmill, what should I be at with a adaptive clearing toolpath?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by munruh View Post
    What's a good rule of thumb for speed and feed increase when you are using volumill or adaptive clearing toolpaths? For example, if I am milling in 304 at 200 SFM and 10 IPM with a 1/2 inch carbide endmill, what should I be at with a adaptive clearing toolpath?
    many end mill makes give a chart of sfpm and ipt when slotting, heavy peripheral and light peripheral milling.
    usually tool length sticking out, tool holder length, machine rigidity and hp and part and fixture rigidity become a factor.
    crude but many operators keep trying higher rpm and feed and see what the sudden tool failure rate and tool life rate becomes. that is if you go 150% rpm and 200% feed and you get a 1% sudden tool failure rate. does the sudden tool failure rate become enough of a problem its better to back off for higher reliability. that is if tool suddenly breaks causing many hours of rework and that extra cost calculates as not a time and money saving it becomes more a math and statistic thing spread out over the whole year. that number crunching often determines feeds and speeds

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look into Radial chip thinning factor. It's the math that determines the thickness of a chip at a specific stepover. There are calculators online. I know it doesn't help you, but mastercam has a little button called "RCTF" that does the math for you. That's not to say I use it all the time, most of what I program is based off trial and error. I can tell you ide be at about 585sfpm with a chip load of about .006 per tooth, maybe a little more, depending on the end mill.

4. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a look at HSM Advisor, it's very handy for these types of toolpaths.

With a 1/2" 4 flute and a 1" l.o.c. and using a 10% stepover you should be around 400sfpm and .005 per tooth feedrate.
    3185rpm and 65ipm

6. Likes mhajicek, gkoenig, eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...At 12 percent. I forgot the important part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    many end mill makes give a chart of sfpm and ipt when slotting, heavy peripheral and light peripheral milling.
    usually tool length sticking out, tool holder length, machine rigidity and hp and part and fixture rigidity become a factor.
    crude but many operators keep trying higher rpm and feed and see what the sudden tool failure rate and tool life rate becomes. that is if you go 150% rpm and 200% feed and you get a 1% sudden tool failure rate. does the sudden tool failure rate become enough of a problem its better to back off for higher reliability. that is if tool suddenly breaks causing many hours of rework and that extra cost calculates as not a time and money saving it becomes more a math and statistic thing spread out over the whole year. that number crunching often determines feeds and speeds
    Why do you even bother responding, you never directly answer anyone's questions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use HSM Advisor and the Helical Machining Advisor Pro. There are many factors that go into choosing the optimal cutting parameters, and they both take them into account.

10. Likes Mtndew, 5 axis Fidia guy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN.T View Post
    Look into Radial chip thinning factor.
    Yes, this. Depending on your CAM, you might have an option to apply RCTF right in the CAM project. This is Mastercam, with a 1/2" 6-flute endmill @ 6% stepover:

rctf.jpg

Note that the non-RCTF feed rate would be 96 IPM, so RCTF makes a big difference.

Regards.

Mike
    Last edited by Finegrain; 04-12-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Why do pics

12. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're running Gibbs Helical Advisor is built in to it in version 12 or later, it gives me very similar numbers to my seat of g-wizard.

14. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've found the Iscar chip thinning calculator to be quite useful. ITA Calculators

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thank you. appreciate the responses