What's new
What's new

Speed and Feed to reduce chatter marks in a 2.75 inch depth?

gmoushon

Cast Iron
Having trouble eliminating chatter marks in a deep pocket.

Material is 6061. Final depth is 2.75 inches.
Using a 1/2" 6-flute HSS end mill with 3 inch flute length.
Pocket geometry is 0.6 x 1.075.
Machine is a Kitamura MyCenter0. BT30 spindle.

I first hog the material out by drilling and then rough it with the end mill leaving 0.010 for a finish pass.

I've tried multiple combinations of speed/feed and still end up with chatter marks.

I also have a 11.5mm carbide 4-flute end mill that I could use if that would be better. Also wondered if conventional cutting on the finish pass would help?

Any help would be much appreciated.

gm

Attachments

• Sleeve.jpg
    Sleeve.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 164
I was going to say get one of Franks necked back 1/2" endmills, you can stick
those suckers out a mile and never have a problem. BUT.. I understand Monday
deliveries, and you got what you got right now, and its got to work..

3" of flute on a 1/2" endmill is always a bitch, always. HSS just makes it worse.

One trick I like. Give the bottom of the endmill something to do. Its like
a little kid, if it doesn't haven't much to do, it'll bounce around and scream
at you.

Leave a little step at the bottom, maybe .060 to .080 wide and .100 or .150 high and
take it out on your finish pass. Gives the endmill something to do besides
scream at you. Alternatively, shallower and wider, maybe .050 deep, .200 wide.

Leave a little step at the bottom, maybe .060 to .080 wide and .100 or .150 high and
take it out on your finish pass. Gives the endmill something to do besides
scream at you. Alternatively, shallower and wider, maybe .050 deep, .200 wide.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll give it a try!
gm

Are those oblong holes on the side already machined prior to cutting the operation? If so that certainly is not helping. Relieving the endmill to about .600 flute length and spiraling from the top down may help to.

ya id say, even my 4 flute likes to clog on aluminum.
i use a 2 flute all the time. if worried about the finish. leave a bit of meat, rough it out with any carbide mill, leave like 20 thou, switch end mills to a long one and do a finish pass.

HSS works on aluminum, but is super abrasive, I like bare carbide for that reason. it stays sharp longer.

Fwiw,
I just did something similar on my brother , standard bt30. 4x4 x 3.1" deep pocket
In 6061.
Step 1 .5" 3 flute yg1 2" loc goung down 1.9" below model top"
Step 2 .625 necked 3 flute yg1 hanging 3.25" from face of collet nut in er32 (maritool) in .5" step downs. Left .01" on the wall.
Step 3. .5" necked 3 flute Maritool hanging 3.2 from face of collet nut er20 (Maritool). Ramped down .4" steps on wall with a finish pass @ 140 ipm taking .01 woc.

Sounded good and came out nice. You can barely feel any lines/steps and no chatter marks.

Edit. All cuts at 10k rpm

Surprised no one has said ditch the HSS and go with carbide, its stiffer and better for long stickout. Anyway ditch the HSS. Yes lots of flutes can pack with chips in aluminum but I don't do much aluminum so when I do I often use tools made for SS, tool steel and Nickle alloys. They work just fine provided I keep the radial enjoyment low.

if you get stuck again and don't have access to properly relieve your tool just buzz back the cutting edges on a pedestal grinder to make it like the relieved neck cutters. spiral down in.

also in a super pinch with a two flute, take a full flute off. one flute has a hard time chattering.

I am surprised nobody asked: what rpm and feedrate are you trying to use?

The suggestions are mostly sound, but if we find out that you're running some high rpm, we'd mostly suggest to start there.

Nothing wrong with going 500rpm (or even less!) if it gets the job done.

Back