What's new
What's new

Speedio doing some High Feed Face Milling

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I went with the ingersol cutter. Modular 12mm theaded head on a Mari Tool holder and High strength pull stud.
Moves right along. 0.120 per revolution.
Speedio S700X1 16k spindle.
Ingersol DiPos cutter
3000 RPM, 360 inches per minute.
.017 deep and .75 to .90 wide cuts, depending on what I need to clean up nibs.

Cut my roughing time in half.

Assuming the material is Aluminum ...

Help me understand the gain here. I get ~5 in^3/min from your parameters -- 360* .017*.8. I must be calculating something wrong, no way does that put the spindle in the red.

Did you maybe mean .170" deep? That would be 50 in^3/min, which I would expect to put the spindle in the red.

Regards.

Mike

Assuming the material is Aluminum ...

Help me understand the gain here. I get ~5 in^3/min from your parameters -- 360* .017*.8. I must be calculating something wrong, no way does that put the spindle in the red.

Did you maybe mean .170" deep? That would be 50 in^3/min, which I would expect to put the spindle in the red.

Regards.

Mike

5 cubes would be 5hp or more in steel depending on the hardness.

The 16K spindle is only 4.9Kw continuous

I don't think that is aluminum Mike.
I like the tune it plays roughing that side pocket.....DA...DA.DA.DA.........DA..DA.DA....DA...DA.DA

( I also see somebody is cheating osha! :skep: LOL)

Material is P20 Mold steel, annealed condition saw cut bar.

Guess that matters lol.

PS, shut up. I'm not cheating, you are. :cheers:
2of3 came here to show my machine a couple years ago and I mentioned that somehow that interlock quit working. :)

and also that is technically only putting the load meter in Orange.
It has green, then 2 color bars of Yellow, Orange, Pink and then Red. So it doesn't overload the machine at all, just exercises it pretty well.
The salesman said I could cut .015 to .020 axially and try for 90% radial but I had to reduce it some to get the corner nibs smaller. I think I settled for 75% and 80% on the cutouts.
Told me not to go over .020 deep or it would explode. 4 edges per insert.
DiPosFEED by Ingersol. 2021 SFeedUP Tooling Promo Inline

Last edited:
And to think I remember when 360 IPM was rapid speed on a NC mill.
When in a pocket type cut each level has to get smaller and smaller or you find out why that .020 exploding limit.
These type cutters while scary fast are actually very nice on the machine itself.
Your butt puckers a bit on the first run but do not override the feed down as they do not like normal or slow feedrates.
Seen many with bad luck on high feed cutters and it is usually hitting a wall or nowhere near enough federate.
Try to tell a guy whose tools are failing early to up the feedrate 5x. You get very strange looks.

In aluminum one is more in the 1000-2000+ IPM feed if your machine can do it and that is truly wild to watch on a big linear motor machine.
I do remember my first 300 IPM in 4140 pre hard. Empty no part run seemed so wrong visually but right in the CAD for chip so I let it sing.
Bob

And to think I remember when 360 IPM was rapid speed on a NC mill.
When in a pocket type cut each level has to get smaller and smaller or you find out why that .020 exploding limit.
These type cutters while scary fast are actually very nice on the machine itself.
Your butt puckers a bit on the first run but do not override the feed down as they do not like normal or slow feedrates.
Seen many with bad luck on high feed cutters and it is usually hitting a wall or nowhere near enough federate.
Try to tell a guy whose tools are failing early to up the feedrate 5x. You get very strange looks.

In aluminum one is more in the 1000-2000+ IPM feed if your machine can do it and that is truly wild to watch on a big linear motor machine.
I do remember my first 300 IPM in 4140 pre hard. Empty no part run seemed so wrong visually but right in the CAD for chip so I let it sing.
Bob

I have absolutely ZERO experience with high-feed stuff like this.
Peter Stanton shares a fair bit of it on youtube, and I always enjoy watching it. Very interesting.

I love high feed. Not big on MRR but they are super stable and reliable.

I get to run a 1.25" Seco high feed in the Okuma tomorrow (or over the weekend, depending on what I get done!) and I am excited to watch her dance a bit. Need to plug in the grinder and get that shank relieved...

1/2 inch solid feed mill in 4140 PH. Feed ramps up as the video plays. Ended up around 700 IPM if I recall. Too small of a part to really go faster. With the hi-cut set up to be gentle it spent most of its time accel and decell for the corners.

The 560 can dance a little if it needs to.

This was just a tool test for the guy that made the feed mill. The tool was happy to go faster.

I went with the ingersol cutter. Modular 12mm theaded head on a Mari Tool holder and High strength pull stud.
Moves right along. 0.120 per revolution.
Speedio S700X1 16k spindle.
Ingersol DiPos cutter
3000 RPM, 360 inches per minute.
.017 deep and .75 to .90 wide cuts, depending on what I need to clean up nibs.

Cut my roughing time in half.

YUP. That's how its done!

Very cool! For pockets of "reasonable" depth is this faster than drilling a hole in the middle and dynamic pathing it out with, say, a 3/8" or 1/2" solid carbide em? Or does the benefit moreso come from using multi-sided inserts instead of some $50 solid carbide one and done?

Originally I was HSM milling the two cutouts to make the H shape on my Fadal. .050 radial and 1.2 axial length.
The worst problem I was having was chip build up and recutting.
That isn't an issue with the HFM as it flings those little blue buggers far away.

Very cool! For pockets of "reasonable" depth is this faster than drilling a hole in the middle ?
Not sure what reasonable depth is.
I will tell you that 24 inches or more in a body die and this is faster.
Problem, steeped in walls that need to be removed.
If making a die for a pickup truck bed you want these cutters.
Bob

Not sure what reasonable depth is.
I will tell you that 24 inches or more in a body die and this is faster.
Problem, steeped in walls that need to be removed.
If making a die for a pickup truck bed you want these cutters.
Bob

Ha! Yeah, I'm talking a DOC that could "reasonably" be done with an end mill...2-3XD maybe? SO long reach is seemingly a plus!

Back