Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milland...

Skate or Die

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eanscott View Post
    I've heard squeaks and chirps from the bearing supporting the fan of a spindle motor. Seems like it would be hard to mistake that for a serious spindle squeak but you know... $7k demands checking and rechecking your sanity
    Status update: I've confirmed the drop in tool life several times over and had a pro come out to see what the deal is. He said the everything seems to line up with whats suspected, but the damage, based on how it sounded, is not enough to require repair unless the parts are out of spec. 4 quotes for repair all are about 3500, warranty included, but not removal/installation.

I don't have that cash, so I spent some time rearranging the program and adding some roughing cuts so there would be less that needed to be cut and less pressure on the Z, as well as tweeking speeds and feeds. Im getting just enough life per tool that I can avoid paying out for a while. I'll probably end up getting the new part from yamazen and sending the old spindle for repair when I have some spare cash as an emergency option.

Hopefully this also means I can expect some amazing tool life improvements when the new spindle is in, but I'm not counting on 1:1 since I don't know how much the roughing will help a healthy spindle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does your Yamazen replacement quote have them doing the work? I did mine about a year+ ago (not a speedio, TC-S2A). Having them do the work would have doubled the price. I did the work myself and saved about half. It was about a 2 hour job. Very simple. I think i did forego the warrantee as a result but there really was nothing to it. I rented the balancer from them for $100 or so.

I am in the middle of nowhere and the ease of working on these for me is a really big factor. I think just the tech to drive here round trip it would have cost me $1200. Same for any other mfr but with my Brother I would not hesitate to do any of the work.

4. Likes GDO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's great to know. I will have to check. The quote from brother was more of a quick email reply. If the warranty goes out the window with that it would probably be worth it to just do the repair. I know theirs is not contingent on pro installation - at least with one of the companies. On the phone they sounded surprised that I asked about anyone doing it for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a solid bump a few months ago. Thrashed the coupler and the machine got a lot louder. I replaced the coupler hoping imbalance was the issue. It wasn’t. It still cuts very well so I bought some good hearing protection and plan to run it till performance suffers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GDO View Post
    That's great to know. I will have to check. The quote from brother was more of a quick email reply. If the warranty goes out the window with that it would probably be worth it to just do the repair. I know theirs is not contingent on pro installation - at least with one of the companies. On the phone they sounded surprised that I asked about anyone doing it for me.
    Proper installation is critical to spindle longevity. I am rather amazed that rebuilders don't require it. How long are the warranties from the rebuilders you have talked to? Another good question is how do they check the taper when grinding it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Proper installation is critical to spindle longevity. I am rather amazed that rebuilders don't require it. How long are the warranties from the rebuilders you have talked to? Another good question is how do they check the taper when grinding it?
    One year. My understanding is that they would not need to grind the taper - which they mentioned they would do on-site if it did.