What's new
What's new

Speedio for roughing P20 tool steel.

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
Yeah, I just said that.

I have a part, measures about 4x7. It gets milled into a layed down H shape. I currently do it in my trusty Fadal 3016, but I was wondering.

It needs to be milled .92 deep and each leg and cross beam of the H measures 20mm (.787)wide.

I have done it a few times on my Fadal, using a 1/2" Emco 5 flute, full axial depth and a .075 radial. I believe that runs about 470 SFM at .0054 ipt.

I don't reckon the little speedio BT30 isn't going to take a .075 radial cut.
The inside corners wont jam up the endmill as they are OS at this stage. I come back in with 1/4 and 3/8 tools later.

So, P20 steel, S700X1 Speedio 16K and a lot of material to be peeled off.

What would you guys run this at?
Thanks

Your Speedio will tear it up. That is a great part for it. 1" axial doc is the sweet spot for steels, Ti etc... I would rough with a 3/8" 5 flute. 1" loc, short tool holder. Full axial, .015" to .020" step over. 8k to 10k rpm, 300 - 350 IPM. I recommend 3/8 over 1/2 because they are cheaper and can handle 1" axial no problem. Also with 3/8, there will be less tighter arcs so the cutter won't get buried in corners.

This is 15-5 H900 roughing with 3/8:

YouTube

44CT0904-3 FLAT SIZE.jpg
This is the sketch of the part.

It will be fun to try roughing out on speedio. I need a dozen of these so this will be a great trial.

Would you run it dry, air blast, mist or flood coolant?

Thanks
Jon

View attachment 282375
This is the sketch of the part.

It will be fun to try roughing out on speedio. I need a dozen of these so this will be a great trial.

Would you run it dry, air blast, mist or flood coolant?

Thanks
Jon

Dry, or air blast if you get chips pooling up. Definitely not flood as this will thermal-shock the cutter and make it prone to chipping.

Regards.

Mike

Here is a shot of the chip thinning adjustment calculator I downloaded from Benchmark Carbide.

20200320_160345.jpg

3/8, 5 flute end mill, about 8k rpm, .019" step over, 372 IPM works out to about a .002" Avg. Chip Thickness. Run it dry with air bast to clear chips and have some fun.
If you want to back it off some to start, go 6k rpm and 260 IPM. Do you have a way to create a 'dynamic' or 'opti-rough' tool path?

Any particular brand or style within a brand you like? I use Imco USA and they must have 10 different endmills, all of which are the best ever, but some have 5, 7, 9, hell, I think I saw an 11 flute in there somewhere.

Iscar EC-E5L 5 flute for this. I'd run a "flat trochoidal" to clear the pockets. Done similar on a Brother TC with only about the same HP as your average moped. Off the top of my head maybe Vc250 F.07 WoC .1 for starters, can run harder. Tool lasts forever.

Definitely airblast, TC hasnt got it so I ran dry.

Any particular brand or style within a brand you like? I use Imco USA and they must have 10 different endmills, all of which are the best ever, but some have 5, 7, 9, hell, I think I saw an 11 flute in there somewhere.

IMCO is great. This one looks like a winner

Screenshot_20200321-065932_Chrome.jpg

I prefer 5 flute for roughing tougher materials on the Brother. I have used with good success a number of brands, The 5 flutes seem to be best overall on the Brother.

This one from Maritool would get the job done too

Screenshot_20200321-084608_Chrome.jpg

It's a 4 flute which works well also. Just need to slow feed compared to 5 flute. From 370 to 300 in your case.

I ran Fadals for years and you have one of the best ones ever made in the boxway 3016 ,,,The tool changer is slow but the machine is a little tank and you would be shocked how hard and fast you can run one of them .. Its a "TRUE" 20HP machine and well its only good to about 400 IPM it can really get a lot of steel removed fast with some good programming ,, I cut 4340 prehard on one for years and have kicked my self a lot for selling it ,,

With whats going on in the economy I think there is going to be a lot of newer used machines coming up for sale soon ,, I have talked to a few local shop owners and there work has went away and most seem to be up to there ass in machine payments. I am in the market for a smaller 40 taper horizontal and think I only have to hold off for a couple months tell the price drops.

Maritool is a rebrander for what I think is the HTC tools.. at any rate they work good but when I can find them I have had better luck with the YG1 4FL Altin cutters ,, I have a feeling GY1 used better carbide in that they don`t seem to chip the cutting edge as much . recutting toolsteel chips on the inside corners is a carbide killer,,

I ran Fadals for years and you have one of the best ones ever made in the boxway 3016 ,,,The tool changer is slow but the machine is a little tank and you would be shocked how hard and fast you can run one of them .. Its a "TRUE" 20HP machine and well its only good to about 400 IPM it can really get a lot of steel removed fast with some good programming ,, I cut 4340 prehard on one for years and have kicked my self a lot for selling it ,,

With whats going on in the economy I think there is going to be a lot of newer used machines coming up for sale soon ,, I have talked to a few local shop owners and there work has went away and most seem to be up to there ass in machine payments. I am in the market for a smaller 40 taper horizontal and think I only have to hold off for a couple months tell the price drops.

Maritool is a rebrander for what I think is the HTC tools.. at any rate they work good but when I can find them I have had better luck with the YG1 4FL Altin cutters ,, I have a feeling GY1 used better carbide in that they don`t seem to chip the cutting edge as much . recutting toolsteel chips on the inside corners is a carbide killer,,

PSST... DD I think you got lost... This thread is about a Speedio! :D

Here is a shot of the chip thinning adjustment calculator I downloaded from Benchmark Carbide.

View attachment 282385

3/8, 5 flute end mill, about 8k rpm, .019" step over, 372 IPM works out to about a .002" Avg. Chip Thickness. Run it dry with air bast to clear chips and have some fun.
If you want to back it off some to start, go 6k rpm and 260 IPM. Do you have a way to create a 'dynamic' or 'opti-rough' tool path?

Man, I’m gonna have to up my game on 4140.

Do you have a standard setup for air you recommend on brothers? When I got mine I wanted thru air and was told it was a no, no. Do you run air lines tandem with the coolant?

Man, I’m gonna have to up my game on 4140.

Do you have a standard setup for air you recommend on brothers? When I got mine I wanted thru air and was told it was a no, no. Do you run air lines tandem with the coolant?

If you look up behind your spindle, you will find a flat pad in the casting with tapped holes in it. You can make or buy a manifold to mount there and mount some nozzles to it. Run an airline to it thru the spindle cable/plumbing conduit. If you want to get fancy you can add a 24vdc solenoid to it and fire it with an Mcode (M402...) manifolds and nozzles can be found at McMaster.

Here is something similar from Paws for coolant. One could be made to do coolant and air with a separate Mcode for each.
MULTI-PORT COOLANT BLOCK – PAWS Workholding for Brother CNC

Back