What's new
What's new

Speedio S500 Foot print/clearance

david n

Diamond
Shop is getting full and I have to play Tetris to fit it all in...................I'll be placin' an S500 on the floor and need to know how much side clearance..............Since they stack these things in like cord wood in some shops...............against a wall I was thinkin' 24" should be OK? She has a standard coolant tank/chip tray.........How much is enough out the back? TIA.

I'm not sure if you have the little tank or the bigger one (35 gal or so). I've used both. 24" or space behind it might be fine for either. On the little one, the casters don't swivel, they only go back away from the machine, so you'll want to mod on some new ones that swivel. In that case or with the bigger one, you can back up 6-8" and exit stage left. I pull the pump and set it in a bucket when I've got the tank off getting hosed out. The bigger one stick out the back farther, the smaller one is near flush to the back of the electrical cabinet, so 24" is probably ok (w/ new casters) on the little one, but maybe a foot more for the bigger one.

That's good. Left and right is static, unless you want to open the side panels to load some longer stock, like an extrusion you want to mill, slide sideways and do more milling. The back side you want room to operate a shovel to get the chips out. If you're hogging aluminum, your gonna want a bigger tank.

In my experience you really don’t need any clearance on the sides unless like surfer said you want to load something in the side. So 2’ should be plenty on the sides. I think the standard tank isn’t any wider than the machine so that shouldn’t affect anything there. Actually that’s for the 700...I don’t know if the 500 has a smaller chip tray? Good luck and congratulations!

Shop is getting full and I have to play Tetris to fit it all in...................I'll be placin' an S500 on the floor and need to know how much side clearance..............Since they stack these things in like cord wood in some shops...............against a wall I was thinkin' 24" should be OK? She has a standard coolant tank/chip tray.........How much is enough out the back? TIA.

I have a S500 in a tiny shop. I have 12" of clearance from the right side to the wall -- and knowing what I know now I would have gone much closer, like 4-6".

Once installed you need very little side clearance on the sides of the machine. There are coolant pumps on both sides of the chip tray; washdown and flood pumps on the right side (as you face the front of the machine) and the CTS pump on the left side. If you can, leave access to the left side.

The side panels unscrew (four screws) and that helps if you need to get in there for a large piece of stock or to work on something inside the mill enclosure. For example if you are getting a Metrol touch probe, buy a Blum or Renishaw instead... but if you do get a Metrol, and you ever need to re-pair the receiver to the probe, it is installed at the back corner of the machine. So it's a little easier to deal with it if you can get a side panel off.

On the back side I have 40" clear to the wall. It's enough that I can put 12" deep storage shelves behind it with no problem. The absolute minimum required behind the 150L chip tray to swing the electronics door all the way open is like 18" or so.

Congrats on the Speedio, I love mine. They work really well in tight spaces and wait until you see them rapid....

To be in compliance with electrical regulations, you need rear clearance to be either of 36" directly behind the electrical panel or 90 degree door opening clearance if the door is more than 36" wide.

Side clearance is determined by the either the width of your shoulders or the diameter of your waist, whichever is larger... While you don't strictly need any side access, it is nice to have.

Back