What's new
What's new

Speedio set up confusion.

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
This happened the other day. I am not sure what I did, but it seems I have put a 0.250 addition/subtraction on my workplace setup.

I use program #14 to set tool #14. done.
I use probe to set G54 Z depth. done
I go to memory OR MDI and type G0G54G43H14 Z0.0 in a program and.....
it positions .250 too deep and wants to break things.

Ideas????

Sorry, whenever I see G54 my mind automatically thinks Fanuc. In Fanuc there are your standard G54, 55,56, etc.. and there is also a Work Shift that you can enter values in. This is independent of your G54's and always adds/subtracts these values to your G54.

After looking at our Brother there is an External setting in the G54 page, is there a .250 value in there?

If those all look good, maybe reset your tool height and re-probe the Z height of the work piece?

Talk to me like I'm 5.

External setting in the G54 page?????

I go Data Bank, workpiece coordinate zero and that opens G54 thru G59.
Where is an external setting or G54 page?

Talk to me like I'm 5.

External setting in the G54 page?????

I go Data Bank, workpiece coordinate zero and that opens G54 thru G59.
Where is an external setting or G54 page?

It should be on the page that shows G54-G59. On mine it's to the immediate right of G59.
Maybe you have an earlier control version?

Got hold of Yamazen and it seems my spindle probe lost .195 somewhere.

I ran the re-calibrate and things are fine now.

Strange.

That would be better answered by 2 out of 3 or BrotherFrank. I'd leave them alone if those values are that large.

Those values are super weird. Like they may have been fat-fingered in there long ago and ignored.

They probably didn't do anything - I'm rusty on this as I've never needed to use External Offsets, but if I recall, you need to set a jumper on the controller board for them to actually work the way you think they would (basically setting a global offset that gets applied to all the other work coordinates). Typically, if we have a crash induced out-of-allignment situation, or you want to offset a rotary for a fixture to be top-dead-center at A0, we would do that through the encoder page.

I did crash the other day. Pulled a 1/2" pilot drill out and then rapid into the top of that drill with the 1/4" endmill. Jammed that up inside the SK16 holder and stalled the machine.

The strange thing about all of this is that an old tool, #19 which is always the Raptor Dovetail cutter. It still would come to the correct spot.

I dunno. I came down and re-calibrated the spindle probe and it is running the parts just fine. The taper is fine, the tools are tight.

Just strange. Can a direct Z bump throw off the entire Z encoder system?

PS, I changed the extended out to zero all down the line. It didn't make a difference.

I dunno. I came down and re-calibrated the spindle probe and it is running the parts just fine. The taper is fine, the tools are tight.

Just strange. Can a direct Z bump throw off the entire Z encoder system?

These things are *very* robust in Z bumps. It is when they have X/Y crashes where the BT30 horror stories come from.

You likely did bunger up the encoder position a little, but it would be difficult to know since the probe calibration from the table would have been the ideal reference. Mind you, this only matters to your G53 position - where the spindle is relative to the machine. Since work offsets are all relative, a bumped Z encoder position would have no effect once you recalibrated your spindle/tool probes and touched off on your work again. It becomes more critically important in high-volume setups where you often don't have a probe, and the jigs offer no place to touch off directly (these get dialed in by running parts until they are dead-nuts... an encoder bump throws these off pretty badly).

Those are huge numbers for an external work shift. We occasionally use the work shift to dial in part thickness. But it’s usually .010 or so in the Z and that’s it.

Changing those numbers will shift all the work coordinates!

To get our external offsets to work we had to install a jumper in the back the cabinet. I believe this feature is disabled on “most” brother machines as it can cause nightmares.

If that jumper is installed and you zero those numbers out it will shift all the other coordinates and you have the potential for another crash.

The External Work Offset is not enabled when machines are shipped new. They require a jumper or switch contacts on an external input mapped to EXWORK for it to be 'active'. This is available on machines with B00 and C00 controls. A value entered on an active External Work Offset will shift all other work offsets. I like to use this instead of the Dry Run when proving out programs.
Another handy use is for Haimer (or other) taster users. Just enter the taster length (negative value) and it makes setting Z work offsets with tasters easier imo.

Back