What's new
What's new

Speedio table rust under vise, grease between the two ?

Wsurfer

Cast Iron
Hi all. Had the speedio since January. My common setup is 2 kurt d688's that don't get moved for moths. The first time I pulled them off, there is significant rust growth, but only on the table and not so much on the vise. The rest of the machine is spotless using trim microsol 685. I used some grease between the two, but doesn't seem to help, or maybe that's the problem. Is this galvanic corrosion ?. If so, would a conductive type grease be better ?.

Thanks,
Matt

Is it rust, or is it discoloration/staining? I used LPS-2 under my Orange vises and they also discolored, but it isn't rust. There is an important difference between the two.

Hi all. Had the speedio since January. My common setup is 2 kurt d688's that don't get moved for moths. The first time I pulled them off, there is significant rust growth, but only on the table and not so much on the vise. The rest of the machine is spotless using trim microsol 685. I used some grease between the two, but doesn't seem to help, or maybe that's the problem. Is this galvanic corrosion ?. If so, would a conductive type grease be better ?.

Thanks,
Matt

Check for ground faults, Matt.
Take a simple VOM and see what the potential difference is between the floor and conduit and your machine is.
Add a couple of grounding rods into the floor if you need to.

JC

After going rounds with Blaser over many issues, one including rust, I found out that high chloride levels contribute to rust. Might have your water tested.

I know the feeling, my brother has pits where I first put my vices. My brand new Orange has pitting on it.

Infuriating

I use a generous coating of LPS3.
It stains after a year or more but
solves rust issue 100%.

I try to let machine sit overnight before using
coolant after installing vises also.

I use a generous coating of LPS3.
It stains after a year or more but
solves rust issue 100%.

I try to let machine sit overnight before using
coolant after installing vises also.

I'm going to treat my table with ACF-50 before putting the vice down, and see if it effects the coolant any.

Are you properly watching your coolant concentration? does your water have a lot of chlorine?
Have you ever added just straight water to the tank without first mixing coolant oil to it(at least 1%) ?
You always add oil to water, and not water to oil?

I never had a spec of rush with the microsol 690XT(and that was with salty softened well water too, now I use mostly RO), and I generally use nothing to maybe 1 or 2 drops of way oil, under my vises. I prefer to be sure she'd snug and ain't gonna slide around...

Are you properly watching your coolant concentration? does your water have a lot of chlorine?
Have you ever added just straight water to the tank without first mixing coolant oil to it(at least 1%) ?

I never had a spec of rush with the microsol 690XT(and that was with salty softened well water too, now I use mostly RO), and I generally use nothing to maybe 1 or 2 drops of way oil, under my vises. I prefer to be sure she'd snug and ain't gonna slide around...

I'm glad to hear that.

portable brush plating equipment and you literally can apply nickel plate as well as other metals. sometimes called selective plating. its a hand held clothe covered wand soaked in chemicals with power supply connected to table and you rub it where you want plating. sort of like a electric magic marker. applying .0001" doesnt take long. if you want much thicker it takes time. power supply sized to area being plated. obviously if wand 1" square inch it could take more than 10 minutes to plate a large area
SIFCO ASC : Selective electroplating equipment and solutions

I use Kendall SHP grease. It's very good grease, and it's very resistant to washout, solved my rusting problems even with softened water. Useful on toolholders and etc. as well. We use it for anything that doesn't require a specific grease like Kluber.

I keep coolant at 6%. Everything else, table tool holders etc. Look great. Its just the narrow "seam" between the vise and table. The machine so far has only cut 303,304ss, 6061, peek,ultem,acetal.

I think 6% might be on the lean side .... I run 250C and keep mine at 7% for alum and then let it get a little low in the tnk and up to 9% for 4340 steel parts ,, I have vises on the table for months at a time and have ZERO rust under them .. I just stone the table and the vices real light and put a coat of 250C right from the bucket on the table and bold the vises down ,,

I think a lot has to do with how clean you keep your tank and coolant .. I clean my tanks every few months and run the coolant thru a old pair of blue jeans with the end of the legs wired shut ... tried a lot of filters over the years and found blue jeans work the best ..

coolant in one mill is pushing 5 years old and its still like new ,,, No stink and No rust

Back