Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Speedio vises

A quick sanity check on vises for a S500X1 before I go spend some (more) money — a couple of Orange 6x17.5"s looks like the sweet spot? I drew it up, and it looks like 6x20" would get you a little more usable range in Y, but would hang off the end of the table quite a bit.

I know could get better space utilization with Delta IV-type vises, but I have some parts that won't fit in the jaws.

Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should be good with that. I have an Orange 6x17.5 and a Chick 4" double station on our S500.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 20" is doable on your Brother with a consideration. If centered on the table in the Y axis direction, the vise will hang off about 2" at each end. Only an issue at the back of the table when you are attempting to use all of the Y- stroke. I think there is somewhere around 1 to 2" of clearance between the sheetmetal and the table at full Y- stroke. If the 20" doesn't quite clear the sheetmetal when centered, you can offset it slightly to the front of the table or limit the Y- stroke slightly in your machine parameters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

17.5" is pretty standard on the S500 and S700 models.

We do have longer versions of the Delta vises in production. The standard is 6" nominal (5.88" actual). The longer versions are 7.5" (7.38" actual) and 9.0" (8.88").

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use an Orange 17.5, usually set up as a reverse vise. This works VERY well for us. There are times I set things up as a double if better for the job.
    Kudos to Orange for great products, and great support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you might look at the 4" kurt single vises ,, there like $510 each and work great for smaller parts ,,, I have some double vises and find them to be a pain to use ,, any thing more than like 200 parts and I just fixture them and don't use vises ,,

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Orange 17.5" double and a Kurt Dx6 on my Brother. I guess it all depends on how you are going to use your machine. I wish I had gotten a second Orange 17.5, and probably will at some point. They are just so versatile.

Mine is an older machine but I think near the same Y travel. The nice thing about the 17.5 on my machine at least is that I have it setup so it can't hit on either end of travel and if I forget to take the wrench off the vise, which I have not done yet, it won't tear anything up.

Also, as has been said but can't be said enough the other half of what makes the Orange vises so good for me has been the company's unreasonably good support. I can't think of another company that has given me better support than Orange Vise. I have had a few issues over the years with it that were related to earlier designs and every time I have called they just sent the updated parts out.