What's new
What's new

Spherical Radius

k_murray

Plastic
im trying to program a spherical radius. my OD .211 im using a .015r insert.
the start of my program is
x.500 z0.0
G1x-.04
G2x.211z.1205R.1205
the issue im having is im getting a .035 flat on my face. im noy using any TNC any suggestions?

You need to add your tool radius to the finish Z and radius you are cutting.
Basically you have to program to the tangent points of the tool radius.

X-.03
G2 X.211 Z-.1205 R.1205

You need to add your tool radius to the finish Z and radius you are cutting.
Basically you have to program to the tangent points of the tool radius.

X-.03
G2 X.211 Z-.1205 R.1205

I'm not going to point out the G2 for the OD---oops.

But isn't what you posted exactly what he posted?

My guess is he's using a .0312"r insert. If not, he can try feeding into Z by .0098 then finish at Z-.1293. That will be the Tangency of the insert radius.

R

He is turning from Z0 to Z.1205 (positive) so G2 is correct.

Nope, sorry. G2 is a clockwise arc.

R

EDIT> I can see clearly now the rain is gone. Unless he's using a sub, or the programming is all wonky, it's redundant anyway. Besides first time poster, probably won't respond anyway.

Nope, sorry. G2 is a clockwise arc.

R

EDIT> I can see clearly now the rain is gone. Unless he's using a sub, or the programming is all wonky, it's redundant anyway. Besides first time poster, probably won't respond anyway.

Depends on the machine type, right? My Citizen M and L machines are always Z+ for forward turning (main or sub, using tooling on the turret, gang slide, or back post) and G2 would swing the correct direction for turning a spherical OD feature. I was assuming he knew his machine. But, maybe he doesn't and that's his problem. I suppose no one is right or wrong without more information.

Depends on the machine type, right? My Citizen M and L machines are always Z+ for forward turning (main or sub, using tooling on the turret, gang slide, or back post) and G2 would swing the correct direction for turning a spherical OD feature. I was assuming he knew his machine. But, maybe he doesn't and that's his problem. I suppose no one is right or wrong without more information.
Tell me about it... The Mori SL2 that I am trying to get used to use Negative X values. So 50mm is X-50.0

Back