What's new
What's new

Spindle length bars sticking out out past spindle liner?

JasonE

Plastic
Had a guy just goof cutting some material down for a lathe and wondering what to do. 1.75" diam 6061. Should be 42" which already has a little stick out. He cut em to 48". This would be 6" past the hydraulic unit bore, which is actually about .200 bigger in diam than the actual spindle liner or draw tube in this case, which is inset about 7".

This is max capacity in the lathe so actually just rides the draw tube. So figure about 13" sticking out past the draw tube. I am temped to just find something to eat up the space inside the hydraulic unit bore so there would only be about 6" sticking out.

I think we run that program maxed at 3500.

What can we get away with here? If I cut it down more, we lose material in another slug.

centering to make up the difference near the exposed end will keep the machine happy

having the material outside the bore will piss off OSHA, whether it causes damage or not

I'm sure its been done before, plenty of Youtube videos to prove it

Have often thought about making an extension tube that bolted onto the end of the actuator with the ID around .015" larger then the bar. This would allow for a 48" bars in a SQT-15M.

Have often thought about making an extension tube that bolted onto the end of the actuator with the ID around .015" larger then the bar. This would allow for a 48" bars in a SQT-15M.

YUP, exactly what I was thinking, other than there is only two small bolts there and a little nervous, but I bet something is better than nothing!

Was thinking I could just weld my flange on it, then face that, and bore to a nice size. Why they don't make the actuator go all the way to the edge of the machine is beyond me.

Probably to much work for this job though. We are talking about doing this 3x! For a total run time in the red zone of 3min. Once we cut off and get to the next part, safety issue averted! GTF out of the way for a minute. If we were going to run 100 bars, I might do this different.

A quick calculation shows that the 6" of extra bar is worth just under $3 per.

I'd just cut them again to the desired length and call it a day.

How many bars did he cut?

1.75 bar sticking out 13", and it's just hanging out there...

How far would you stick it out of the chuck and take a cut on it?

Yeah, a 5/8 bar hanging out 2' is gunna git'chew in trouble, 1-3/4" bar hanging out 7D.
Come on ....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Had the same problem on my Omniturn Hardinge Dsm which has a short spindle. Had an old Hardinge air bar feed so made a mounting plate for the top part of the original bar feed stand and bolted it on the back of the Hardinge cabinet and centered the opening for the feeding tube with the center of the spindle. cut a piece of the tube to the right length, set the secnd mounting bar for the stand at the correct distance, lined every thing up and there you go. I can slide the short piece of bar feed tube back and forth so the material is always inside the this tube..

The extra 6 inches is already wasted, if you cut it off you will have slugs to make something else? Tighter bushing/spindle lining and spindle override at 50% if you are nervous?
I saw my foreman start an old Cleveland single spindle automatic with out pulling up the stock guide, 1 1/2 aluminum hex bar makes a mean weed eater, but there was at least six feet sticking out. Made some wicked gouges in the concrete floor!

Back