Spindle motor rewinding - do or don't? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    That's a good question actually... Does a re-balance even need to be done if the rotor isn't touched?
    I think that came up if you replace the bearings.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

For the sake of clarity here is a photo of the motor nameplate:

Nameplate RPM is 1760, I'm sure it's not balanced much past that as my other machines definitely have some vibration up at full RPM (7500).

As others have said I'm fairly sure this is pretty much an off-the-shelf motor from Baldor, Fadal tried to avoid expensive custom parts whenever possible and overall seemed to have done a pretty good job of that.
    This nameplate doesn't even indicate bearing numbers, nor extra tight tolerance balancing.

If you change the bearings, I'm sure the motor shop can balance it just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Baldor has to have a rep and supplier in Canada, call them up and get a price for a new motor. I went through the rebuild I did because the motor and housing were a completely unique configuration and couldn’t be ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the sake of clarity here is a photo of the motor nameplate:

Nameplate RPM is 1760, I'm sure it's not balanced much past that as my other machines definitely have some vibration up at full RPM (7500).

As others have said I'm fairly sure this is pretty much an off-the-shelf motor from Baldor, Fadal tried to avoid expensive custom parts whenever possible and overall seemed to have done a pretty good job of that.
    So that is a special motor that you can't buy direct from Baldor - need to go to the CNC OEM - this is because of the spec number. However, that's a pretty standard industrial duty motor. The only thing out of the ordinary is the class H insulation. That adds about 10% to the cost of the motor. I checked with my Baldor factory guy and he agreed with me that the motor is most likely not special other than being proprietary to the OEM.

There is no reason that needs to be a Baldor motor, There are several good motor vendors that can be bought for less than a Baldor motor. That will be as stock motor for many vendors.

I can buy that motor for around $600 in the US in several brands. For me I would scrap it and buy a standard class H insulation motor new.

A quality 600 rpm balance would be fine of you do rebuild it. I will tell you that that motor most likely came with an ISO 1940 G2.5 balance - that is Baldor's standard balancing tolerance. That is not a precision balance. You want at least a G1.0 balance.

The motor does not have an external blower - does it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by markz528 View Post
    I can buy that motor for around $600 in the US in several brands. For me I would scrap it and buy a standard class H insulation motor new.
    Mark, you've piqued my interest. Would you mind listing a few brands of electric motors that are equivalent to that Baldor? It would be helpful to have actual manufacturers or vendors names for replacements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fadal uses a fan on top
    now are you sure the motor is bad ?
    or is it just the VFD ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Mark, you've piqued my interest. Would you mind listing a few brands of electric motors that are equivalent to that Baldor? It would be helpful to have actual manufacturers or vendors names for replacements.
    Leeson for one maybe even a better motor

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Siemens and WEG are the ones that I can vouch for. I have done a lot of work with both vendors, and I am comfortable with their quality. I am a big fan of WEG, especially if you buy the right motor. The best motors are IEEE 841 cast iron TEFC. For a drip proof motor like the one on this machine, WEG has a wide range of offerings - I am not sure if Siemens has a 10 hp drip proof offering. WEG has the best NEMA product manager in the industry.

9. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Fadal uses a fan on top
    So if this motor has a powered fan, then that would need to be addressed. They can be bought that way but would be more money. One option would be to buy a Baldor and reuse the powered fan.

A full picture of the motor would be beneficial.