What's new
What's new

Spindle rebuild costs

swarf_rat

Titanium
How much does a spindle cost to rebuild?

Yeah, I know, kind of like asking how much does a car cost: $100 - $1M, depending. I am looking at an older DMG machine, 8000 rpm cartridge air/oil (we think) spindle with 10,000 hours. Should last longer, but depends on its history. I talked to DMG and they quoted a ball park figure of $10K for an exchange and $13.5K for new. That seemed pretty high to me for a pedestrian spindle. What might one expect to pay at an independent rebuilder, and what independent rebuilder should I talk to to get an idea? Probably needs to be one that has seen DMG spindles before?

Spindle rebuild

A 40 taper 10k grease pack or air oil cartridge spindle for my Fadal VMC's is $2,000 for bearings only. $2,850 with taper regrind and springs.

Grease pack are good for about 15-20k hours if we limit the max rpm to 8500. Air oil go 25-30K hours even with 10,000 rpm.

Of course I hope that the spindle has had an easy life and will last another 10,000 hours. But with a used machine....

I did talk to Setco, thanks for that lead. They could not provide specifics on that particular spindle, but suggested that a typical one in that class would be around $3K. That sounds a lot better than $10K from the factory, I suppose the high factory price should not be unexpected.

3K sounds fair. 8,000 RPM sounds low for a air oil lube, typically I see grease.
Typical 40 taper cartridge will have 4 7014 bearings.
8K - grease arounk $1,000 for bearings 10K - 12K grease around 2,000
No surprises, should have 3 - 6 hours labor.

I've been using Spindles Plus (Mike Moles) and they do a great job.

One more option for you.

I recommend Northern Services.

How much does a spindle cost to rebuild?

Yeah, I know, kind of like asking how much does a car cost....

For any others looking for a rec, the place I always recommend is Northern Services, ask for Kevin Hoerner the shop manager. It's all they do and are fast and reasonably priced, way below what you are mentioning. Appear to be quite expert at it. Northern Services Inc

For any others looking for a rec, the place I always recommend is Northern Services, ask for Kevin Hoerner the shop manager. It's all they do and are fast and reasonably priced, way below what you are mentioning. Appear to be quite expert at it. Northern Services Inc

If you are this inept at marketing, I'd have a hard time trusting you with my spindle, "khoerner"

I heard khoerner, AKA Kevin Hoerner and his shop trashed a customer's $50K spindle and refused to warranty it.

I heard Northern Services Inc is the worst spindle rebuild shop in the country.

I heard if you need a spindle rebuild, you should NEVER use Kevin Hoerner at Northern Services, Inc. One star out of ten, do not recommend.

I heard khoerner, AKA Kevin Hoerner and his shop trashed a customer's $50K spindle and refused to warranty it.

I heard Northern Services Inc is the worst spindle rebuild shop in the country.

I heard if you need a spindle rebuild, you should NEVER use Kevin Hoerner at Northern Services, Inc. One star out of ten, do not recommend.

AHHH, Competitors!!! Gotta love their “Stories”. TeachMePlease, don’t listen to libelous stories.

We have covered our warranty as much as 7 months past their expiration IF we find something WE failed at. Every customer needs to be satisfied!

I am Northern Services Inc. Wasn’t my post.
Would you honestly try to have us believe Member "khoerner", Who recommends contacting Kevin Hoerner of Northern Services Shop manager no less. Is a different cat, and has no relationship to you?

Lets network this, Here's what I think. You and "khoerner" sleep under the cover of the same Donna each night. "khoerner" made one and only one post. Join date Dec 2018. Wouldn't the truth of the matter be, you're the same cat, thats forgotten how to log in, so you made a new account "northsi", Feb 19. Your both from North Dakota. And both spamming Northern Service Inc. How can you claim it "Wasn't my post". Somewhere between post's 8 & 9. Someone claiming to be the Shop Manager of Northern Service Inc, dredged up a thread from July 2012 to Dec 2018. Let's say 5 1/2 years late.

But you wouldn't happen to be SPAMMING us by any chance.

Too add further insult to injury. I wasted my looking at your web site. You do wood router spindles. Your out of your league here. We cut metal.

Come back and talk to us when you know Titanium from PDF cutting. Or HSK63 from your arsehole.

Mr Teach Me Please had a point. I'll splain it to you Lucy, Because this place is the biggest manufacturing Forum on the Internet. It gets Google engine searched several times an hour. Its called crawling.

Mention your website here 2 or 3 time's and it will come up here, before your native site. In which case it will find this thread.

Test: Northern Services Inc

I'm cutting you slack, on the preface your somewhat stupid. I'd take a lot of care

************ that, i want to know how long a live you get instead of using (good name brand spindle grease) at 10K RPM you get filling them with spam? Is it a one off treatment or more of a air - spam injection process!

AHHH, Competitors!!! Gotta love their “Stories”. TeachMePlease, don’t listen to libelous stories.

We have covered our warranty as much as 7 months past their expiration IF we find something WE failed at. Every customer needs to be satisfied!

Wow... You really don't understand the internet. Especially not this forum.

Good luck to you.

Don’t know what else to say. I found this thread from searching my name for an unrelated reason. I had to create this account just so I can reply. That’s why yesterday’s date. I surmise this khoerner created a fake account just to reverse spam me. The same day the account was created (12-19-18) TeachMePlease replied with his libelous comments. I thought it suspicious enough to rebut.

You are correct...we focus on high speed woodworking spindles as our primary. Is it any wonder why I’m not a long-time member here in this forum?! Metal is not my rodeo. Why would I recommend myself for metal??
But can you imagine the level of precision that is required to rebuild a 30K RPM 30HP SPINDLE with an HSK63F shaft?! It certainly equips us to precisely do anything! But I am swamped with wood so please no inquiries at this time.

....TeachMePlease replied with his libelous comments. I thought it suspicious enough to rebut.....

Had you spent just a moment and checked out TeachMePlease here you would have noticed he is a long time member/contributor here with over a couple thousand posts. If he were one to make unwarranted "libelous" replies he would not have lasted long here.

Blatant spam is routinely shot down in flames here. If new user khoerner thought he was doing you a favor, then he was severely mistaken.

The real 'khoerner' revealed!

Oh wow! Guys guys... Hi, it's me KELLY Hoerner, author of the comment originally recommending Northern Services above (yes, marketing). I am actually his brother that handles some of his Marketing functions. He had no knowledge of me posting this as it was assumably minor.

I simply was researching on that day, ran across this forum, saw a comment asking for CNC spindle rebuild service recs and posted that comment. How can I do that when I am in corporate marketing and not a machinist? Well, simply based on the near 30 years of success my brother has had and the customer satisfaction surveys I see. And frankly everything I said is 100% true. My error was not realizing there was such a gulf between "wood" and "metal"!

;)

I certainly didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. Here is my info just to prove all this.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kellyhoerner/

My deepest apologies to all for any offense.

Have a great day and take care. Peace.

-Kelly Hoerner

Back