What's new
What's new

Spindle Rebuilder - Ontario, Canada

e30ryan

Aluminum
Hello all,

I'm looking for any recommended shops servicing the southern Ontario region for a spindle rebuild. It's a BT40 from a First MCV300 (7.5 HP). The machine in general is fairly sound but I've got too much deflection in the spindle (when measured between the spindle housing and spindle nose). Runout is ok (~0.0002"), but the whole thing deflects a few thou when I grab on the tool holder!

Cheers

Unless you need to stay within CA, there's a number of good spindle rebuilders in New Hampshire. I used Northland for some minor work a few years ago and was happy with the results and price, but the work you'll need may not be cheap if bearings must be replaced.

A search for New Hampshire spindle rebuild will bring up Northland and other NH rebuilders.

I have the same machine. I would call Heinman as they still sell and support these. I had a spindle rebuilt once by another company that came recommended and it failed early. I would not go that route again. Just my opinion.

I am a neighbor to your south and, again, if you are open to going outside of CA then I highly recommend SPS in Goffstown, NH. Another option is Motor City Spindle Repair in Michigan. I have used the former and they do fantastic work and have not used the latter but hear good opinions of them.

The spindle nose itself is deflecting?? Crazy... I guess maybe the bearing preload is gone? I can't imagine any other way it could move that much and you'd still have good runout.

I have been looking for a rebuilder in Ontario as well as I have a pair of Fadal spindles that need it.

I have talked to a couple of companies locally. Specialized Spindle Services in New Hamburg were friendly and sounded like they knew what they were doing, but they haven't done any work for me yet.

Please let me know who you deal with and what the experience is like as I'm still deciding who I'll go with as well.

The spindle nose itself is deflecting?? Crazy... I guess maybe the bearing preload is gone? I can't imagine any other way it could move that much and you'd still have good runout.

I have been looking for a rebuilder in Ontario as well as I have a pair of Fadal spindles that need it.

I have talked to a couple of companies locally. Specialized Spindle Services in New Hamburg were friendly and sounded like they knew what they were doing, but they haven't done any work for me yet.

Please let me know who you deal with and what the experience is like as I'm still deciding who I'll go with as well.

Yes, I am a bit surprised as well with how much it moves with relatively low force! I am still making decent parts with it, but chatter is a problem and I need to be mindful of the programming. My tool life is also pretty bad even when cutting mild steel.

I've spoken with Heinman, but they are of the opinion that I should be replacing my machine with a new one and not repairing it :)

I would prefer to deal with a (somewhat) local Canadian company due to ease of logistics.

I'll check out some of these suggestions - thanks all

That's weird - how old is the machine?

They did the spindle on our 1994 Dahlih last year and have done work on other similar era machines for a friend, and at another shop I worked at.

I'm sure the owner would take the chance to try and sell you on a new machine but I'm surprised they wouldn't work on yours unless there is some kind of known flaw or something with that spindle?

I've spoken with Heinman, but they are of the opinion that I should be replacing my machine with a new one and not repairing it :)

I would prefer to deal with a (somewhat) local Canadian company due to ease of logistics.

I'll check out some of these suggestions - thanks all

If you buy a new one from Heinman Let me know I'll buy your mcv300 lol

If you pry between the flange and the tool holder, does the tool holder move?? Just wandering if your belleville washers are shot and your loosing clamping force on the tool holder?

I'd be tempted to take it apart myself, but first.
Tool still blues up good with the taper?
Z gibs all tight?

Back