What's new
What's new

Spindle regrinding limit

brian.pallas

Hot Rolled
This isn't for anything I actually need at the moment, just curious. When you regrind a milling machine spindle taper you lose drawbar force. Is it just once you lose to much drawbar force you need to then replace the spindle, or is there anything else that can be done to get drawbar force back?

You can also chrome plate the taper to build it back up, but that is after some pretty extreme grinding. If you are just cleaning up normal wear then a regrind or three won't matter, you should only lose half a thou or two Z axis movement at most when cleaning up a taper. I would never add to old belville washers, just replace them all. Perhaps overkill but after working with a Fadal I am stuck with that mindset.

From what we see, unless the drawbar is weak before hand, grinding the taper will have little effect on the pressure. If we take .001" off of the taper, the Z difference is .0034". That's why we check drawbar pressure before grind if possible. It could cause a problem, but I ground LOTS of tapers multiple times with no adverse problems. I'm not so sure about adding a spring or shim. Seems to me that would create a problem during unclamp. Quite possibly could break the washers.

Rocky
Spindle Grinding Service (retired).

Back