What's new
What's new

Square part in a hydraulic chuck with pie jaws

Kapster

Cast Iron
I have some parts to make that I previously did in a VMC but have much more horsepower in our new y axis turning center. Is this feasible or am I crazy?

The part is 3x3x3.5 leaded steel with a 2.25" bearing bore going through the 3" dimension. I'm considering milling out pie jaws so I can use a drill to open it and bore it out to finish size. Had issues in the mill with out of roundness using a boring head.

I'm making 20 of these, can I get away with aluminum pie jaws or do I need steel or cast iron? Can I get away with 2" deep pie jaws with the pocket 1" to 1-1/4 deep, or do I need to step up to 3" pie jaws with more pocket depth? Location isn't super super critical but the bore square with the part is, will pie jaws manage this?

Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I've done it about a Million times. I would just Mill the pocket 1.75 deep, and be okay with 2" jaws. Just need to clear all the corners out.

R

If you had 1000 of them to do, I would say go with the pie jaws. At 20, I'd just Chuck up a piece of scrap, and mill out a pocket.

2 reference surfaces and 2 with clearance, punch a few set screw holes to clamp the material, and be done, and not have to spend money on pie jaws.

I've done it about a Million times. I would just Mill the pocket 1.75 deep, and be okay with 2" jaws. Just need to clear all the corners out.

R

Sounds good! Is aluminum ok, or do I need steel?

Thanks Bob for the scrap idea, I'll have to keep that in mind. If I can get away with aluminum pie jaws I think its worth it for the simplicity.

For 20 parts aluminum will be fine. We do some 2x2x1-3/4 1215 blocks with about a 1-3/8 hole and it works slickernshit.

Sounds good! Is aluminum ok, or do I need steel?

Thanks Bob for the scrap idea, I'll have to keep that in mind. If I can get away with aluminum pie jaws I think its worth it for the simplicity.

Aluminum is fine, just don't be clumsy when you load parts.

It's square, so you don't need a Million Lbs. of pressure.

Back