What's new
What's new

Star Sr20 RIV spindle heat

seanied

Plastic
Hi all.
I hope you guys can share your experience.

I have a job on a star Sr20 RIV which has some small dia drilling.
I am running the main head 1 spindle at 10k rpm for this and doing some turning too.

The main spindle is getting quite hot. You wouldn't be touching it very long.
My previous jobs had a lot more milling so this hasn't appeared before.

Is this normal. Don't want to over heat my machine!

Hot enough that you can't put your hand on it?
Generally, for most folk, anything over about 135 degrees Fahrenheit is considered uncomfortable to hold. So if your spindle temps are exceeding 140 degrees that could be problematic.

At my day job, we had a two axis CNC lathe where the spindle lube pumps were incorrectly set, and the spindle got that hot. It started making noise, parts started getting out of round, and then *poof* - new spindle time.

You may want to make sure the spindle is getting lubed, or if it's a grease packed spindle, it's not unduly worn or damaged.

Hot enough that you can't put your hand on it?
Generally, for most folk, anything over about 135 degrees Fahrenheit is considered uncomfortable to hold. So if your spindle temps are exceeding 140 degrees that could be problematic.

At my day job, we had a two axis CNC lathe where the spindle lube pumps were incorrectly set, and the spindle got that hot. It started making noise, parts started getting out of round, and then *poof* - new spindle time.

You may want to make sure the spindle is getting lubed, or if it's a grease packed spindle, it's not unduly worn or damaged.

Thanks for the reply.
We have 2 machines on te same job doing the same thing.
Star retrofitted an high pressure air plast to help but not sure if it made a difference. I need to get a heat gun a see exactly what its getting up to.

It shouldn't be so hot you can't put a hand on it. Make sure the fan on the spindle is working properly, and if it's got a spindle chiller, make sure it's got enough fluid (ours use velocite #2 I believe).

Back