What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi spindle drive ground fault at random

Agfrvf

Aluminum
New to me DynaMyte 3220 Had fully operational yesterday but the spindle is throwing a ground fault today with no changes made.

Do Mitsubishi drives have any common failpoints?

MDS-B-CV-110 Error code 9 Ground Fault
MDSASPA220 Error code F1-69 (Ground fault check power supply)

You should megger test the motor and motor power cables first. If that shows a problem trace that down and repair. If the megger test shows good, look at all connections along the DC bus. Fix anything that looks bad. If that is good try powering up the machine with the motor power cable disconnected. If no alarm or a different alarm then you probably have trouble with the motor or power cables.

You should megger test the motor and motor power cables first. If that shows a problem trace that down and repair. If the megger test shows good, look at all connections along the DC bus. Fix anything that looks bad. If that is good try powering up the machine with the motor power cable disconnected. If no alarm or a different alarm then you probably have trouble with the motor or power cables.

Powered up the machine with cables disconnected from drive, got a positional error 23.(telling it to go and its not moving as the motor is disconected) So I think the drive is ok. will have to get a megger when I get back from holiday. I noticed the fan on the motor comes on even with ground fault. I think I may try to take the top of the motor off and spray it down with CRC electrical cleaner.

You'll need to do a megger test based on those readings. Do not have the leads connected to the drive when using the megohmmeter, it will kill the transistor module(s) in the drive.

Each leg to ground gives 208-209 Megaohms at the spindle drive end(disconnected from drive) at 1000V testing. That seems good. Now what?

The -CV power supplies are the most common failure in the MDS series drives....that’s where I would look.

The power supply outputs ~300v DC on the bus to the drives, verify this first. Also there is another lower voltage output to check as well on the power supply, I believe.

Be careful! 300v DC will kill you deader than a doorknob.

Would out of balance 3 phase do it? 243/270/270 due to "CNC DUTY" RPC. Would flipping the single phase legs to the input do anything to the third leg?

Starts up code6 for good to go, contactor hits and throws a 9. After throwing code measured 350Dc and falling (dumping after fault?)

Would out of balance 3 phase do it? 243/270/270 due to "CNC DUTY" RPC. Would flipping the single phase legs to the input do anything to the third leg?

I would be less worried about balance and very concerned about over voltage. Did you tap the transformer correctly? My Mitsu spindle drive runs at 200 volts. I am not familiar with the specs on your drive but doubt it would want to see more than 240 volts, maybe less.

Always check your voltages before closing the main of the machine. Most machines have a procedure to open breakers and take out fuses to check voltages before powering on for the first time.

Ugh, running at the moment. Did the ol india tech support technique.(off again on again about 10x)

Will look into transformer.

If it was my machine there is no way in hell I would close the breaker with 270 volts, you're likely to burn something up if you haven't already.

Even if you do get it to run on 270 volts every time the spindle decels and tried to regen it will trip and you will get a DC bus over voltage alarm cause it can't dump the power back to the mains cause the voltage is to high.

The nameplate input on the power supply is 230V. Typically margin of error is +/-10%. I did hook up a buck boost and got it down to 223/243/243 giving effectively 236v. Also found a loose ground connection in the machine input junction box. No more finicky-ness it seems.

Back