What's new
What's new

Sticking tooling

tooltechtroy

Plastic
I’m posting for entertainment purposes. Today I witnessed my boss use anti seize inside a spindle to “fix” the sticking tooling. I’ve also witnessed the spindles getting ground by hand with power tools. This and another spindle have less than 50% contact with the tool, only making on the upper end.

I’m posting for entertainment purposes. Today I witnessed my boss use anti seize inside a spindle to “fix” the sticking tooling. I’ve also witnessed the spindles getting ground by hand with power tools. This and another spindle have less than 50% contact with the tool, only making on the upper end.

You need Walt....but has sadly passed on.

But IIRC his son still runs Spindle Grinding Services in you area.

You say ground by hand? like taking a small nick out.. or some clown trying to "dust" up the entire spindle??!?

Never heard of using antisieze, but on Haas mills you usually (IME) need to grease a couple pull studs every so often. Also, if you are cutting without coolant, and have no spindle chiller, it could swell from heat buildup in a long cut.

The majority of the spindle has been ground, not just small nicks. I have one spindle with only the top near the retention knob showing contact with bluing dye

The majority of the spindle has been ground, not just small nicks. I have one spindle with only the top near the retention knob showing contact with bluing dye

Maybe your pull studs are torqued too tight and swelling that area of tool holder? Easier to do than you might think.

Back