What's new
What's new

Stinky Coolant Fixed for $1.76

ZfMax

Plastic
OK, I'm quite sure some knowledgeable people are going to chime in and tell me why this is such a bad idea. Pretty much the norm on forums, for people to throw rocks. I don't care. I'm just going to tell a true story. Everyone is free to take it or leave it.

One of my machines was recently shut down for about four days, due to a bad way lube pump. That's how long it took me to get the parts in and fix it and get it back into service.

So I fired it up Wednesday morning and put it back to work and left the shop. I came back about an hour later and the entire shop STUNK TO HIGH HEAVEN. Apparently that shutdown was enough to cause a whole bunch of bacteria poop in my coolant. It was really bad. I opened the overhead doors on the shop to air it out, thankfully it's summer. I could smell it all day, even standing 100 feet from the shop.

I was a bit pissed, because the coolant (Hocut 795-B) was only about 9 months old, and in more than a decade of using the stuff I had never got less than a year out of it. And now I was going to have to stop production and spend a day cleaning the machine and the sump and replacing the coolant, costing me both time and money.

I really didn't want to do it. I was already behind because of the machine being down for four days. I had work backed up.

I full well know the ills of putting bleach into the coolant. Been there, done that, won't do it again. It caused rust, and it was a very temporary solution anyway. Dicked around with it for a week or so and ended up changing the coolant anyway. Waste of time, at least for me.

But I got to thinking. What about Hydrogen Peroxide? I mean, it kills bacteria. It's not some nasty chemical, hell, it's nearly water. And it's readily available and dirt cheap. What the hell have I got to lose?

I dumped a quart in (my sump is 60 gallons). Costed me a whopping 88 cents at Walmart for the standard 3% stuff you use to clean cuts or gargle with. That was Wednesday afternoon.

Within 24 hours, the smell had gone down dramatically. Still there, but not nearly as bad, and I was able to close the doors.

Thinking that maybe the reduced smell was natural from using the machine and aerating the coolant in the process, I left it like that. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, I ran the machine 12+ hours each day. The smell level stayed pretty constant, not better or worse.

Finally, late Saturday, I dumped another quart in. Now I'm up to $1.76 invested. Ran the machine a few hours, and I've got about 6 hours on it this morning. I just went to turn it around, and the smell is basically gone at this point.

No harmful effects observed. Not a bit of rust anywhere. Hydrogen peroxide is essentially water with 2 oxygen molecules instead of one. I was a bit concerned that the extra oxygen could cause rust, but I haven't seen it.

I'm still going to change the coolant and clean the machine - upgrading to Trim 690XT in the process - but this at least seems to have bought me some time. I can get caught up on my work while I bring in the new coolant.

I'm NOT promoting this or telling anyone else they should try it. Only relating my experience. You're free to ignore me or try it yourself. I take no responsibility if it damages your machine. But I can't imagine it. I mean, it's damn near water.

OK know-it-alls, throw the rocks and rotten tomatoes. I can take it.

That's actually something I had never thought of, and is actually brilliant...

I'm one that believes in NEVER adding extra stuff to coolant, bleach, soaps,
and if a coolant company even sells and anti-stink additive, I won't use it..

But. H2O2. Its just an extra oxygen.. And what does oxygen do, it makes stuff
rot quicker (like the dead mouse you are going to find at the bottom of your sump)

How do you get the smell of cat piss out of your house.. An Ozone generator. O3.
An extra oxygen... I'm guessing it makes the cat piss rot quicker, so it doesn't
stink anymore..

I love the $1.76 part of the story!

Where were you when I had to clean the sump out of the cylindrical grinder at my dad's business when I was 12 years old! grrrr

Great idea!

:D

Very interesting experiment. Any aerobic biota no doubt found it a very hostile environment. Short term, anyway. Can you have your coolant rep analyze a coolant sample and follow what happens over the next couple of months? Did you kill the little nasties, or just knock em back on their heel?

But. H2O2. Its just an extra oxygen.. And what does oxygen do, it makes stuff
rot quicker (like the dead mouse you are going to find at the bottom of your sump)

How do you get the smell of cat piss out of your house.. An Ozone generator. O3.
An extra oxygen... I'm guessing it makes the cat piss rot quicker, so it doesn't
stink anymore..

H2O2 is a strong oxidizer. It was used it in rockets and torpedoes at very high concentrations, which you definitely should avoid, as it is very caustic.

“Rotting” is a complicated biological process, whereas using ozone or peroxide to neutralize something is probably a lot less complicated chemical reaction.

It is a very cool and inexpensive result and solution, but I would be wary of using higher concentrations of peroxide.

It sounds like it might be a better idea than what we used to do before using hocut (which has been pretty good until recently per that other thread I just posted in), which is we used to use pine sol. It "worked"...

Today's update: still no smell! It's like a miracle.

HOWEVER .. I did have a little rust spot on my vise this morning. Due to the Hydrogen Peroxide? I'm not sure. I've noticed in the past that once the 795-B starts going bad, little rust spots are one of the leading indicators, along with the smell of course.

Anyway, the rust is minor and so far at least confined to just the vise, and the 690XT is on order. The Hydrogen Peroxide seems to be buying me some time, at a very low price, which is more than I expected.

That 'wonderful' smell is most likely from volatile fatty acids. The peroxide made the coolant oxidizing and anaerobic bacteria can't survive.
3% H2O2 is rather innocuous however 30% is nasty stuff. I got some on my hand once; I had the choice of the emergency shower 15 feet away or the sink 5 feet away, guess which one I used. ;-) The 30% chewed thru my skin to the nerve ending rather quickly. Effectiveness is all about the final concentration. A liter of 3% or 100 mL (approx a cup) of 30% will make the same concentration of available oxidizer in your tank. I'd say it was an inspired idea.

H2O2 is a strong oxidizer. It was used it in rockets and torpedoes at very high concentrations, which you definitely should avoid, as it is very caustic.

What he said. One thing I can add, if you have any layer of tramp oil on top of your coolant it can cut down the natural gas exchange, and the oxygen can very quickly be used up leading to a spike in anaerobic activity, which can lead to super fast bacteria growth. Especially teh smelly kinds. I've found keeping the coolant skimmed and moving (the bubblers actually work ok for providing some circulation, they to NOT cause gas exchange in the bubbles, but only through circulation at the surface) give you a lot more time before the coolant wants to go bad.

I have been using Oemeta coolant, and even in the past with other brand coolants...the humidity spikes in July and I always have a tank go bad. I never can get more than a year without at least some smell.

And here is the real kicker. This machine only runs aluminum and plastic 95% of the time. Very little oil gets in tank, have skimmer anyways, and I have a bubbler. The machine sits though quite a bit between jobs. Overall the tank is super clean and better than most of the guys on this site guaranteed and it still went BAD!!

Arg, I will try this trick, worth a shot!

It sounds like it might be a better idea than what we used to do before using hocut (which has been pretty good until recently per that other thread I just posted in), which is we used to use pine sol. It "worked"...

What were your long term results with the Pinesol?

This thread is interesting to me, as I picked up a Spinner SB CNC lathe and it’s in my garage and the coolant remnants already stank some.
Over the next year, my usage level probably won’t be very high, but I’d love to avoid stinky coolant.
I got a 5 gallon pail of of TRIM MicroSol 585XT, but not sure how it’ll perform or last or resist bacteria.
Anybody using TRIM MicroSol 585XT?
Any recommendations?

This thread is interesting to me, as I picked up a Spinner SB CNC lathe and it’s in my garage and the coolant remnants already stank some.
Over the next year, my usage level probably won’t be very high, but I’d love to avoid stinky coolant.
I got a 5 gallon pail of of TRIM MicroSol 585XT, but not sure how it’ll perform or last or resist bacteria.
Any recommendations?

Interesting thread. I've used a 10% to 20% cut-in of "Original Listerine" (Eucalyptol) to keep long-storage, low use soft-soap and DW detergent dispensers sweet for Donkey's Years.

Blends in easier, stays blended better than Pine-Sol (thymol?).

May try that. Peroxide releases "nascent" Oxygen, "O1". Fairly aggressive REDOX corrosive - rust-maker especially.

Saving grace here seems to be it got used-up right away by the biologicals and/or their byproducts.

I love all these Harry Homeshop fixes..Ya'll cook meth as a hobby ?

For "professionals", what happens when you complain of bad tool life to your coolant supplier, and they
pull a sample of your "Mixture" ?

"Well sir, your running BlasterLÜb in the proper concentration, but we can't figure out just HOW
Peruvian Yak spoog got into your coolant tank....Oh, and by the way, better have your operator
drug tested, the THC level in the coolant was over the legal limit"....:crazy:

Any recommendations?
I have a Milltronics P1H VMC in my garage that I use Trim 585XT in. Sometimes it goes for a week or so without use and the coolant has never gone bad. I skim a lot so I'm sure that helps. And I'm in Arizona, so the garage gets pretty warm too. It works well, hasn't caused any rust and keeps my machine very clean.

The peroxide is an interesting idea I'll keep in mind if it ever goes south, but my sump is only about 12 gallons, so it's not a big deal to just replace it all either. Would have been nice to try at my old job where we had 50+ gallon sump machines that would go bad a couple weeks after putting all new coolant in. We ran a lot of metal spray which turned to sludge in the bottom of the sump. I think that had a lot to do with how much bacteria was in there even when everything was cleaned really well between coolant changes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not great. Back then, we had switched from Trim Sol (which was a tad expensive, and the work was slow, so my work was trying to save a bit of money) to some "no-name" coolant (I am sure it had a name, but I don't remember what it was.

The new stuff was only like 10$ a gallon of concentrated soluble oil.

But that stuff wouldn't last more than a few months. 6 months at best. By 6 months, it would smell like vomit.

Add some pine sol, and bam, mostly pine scent for a few weeks. But the smell would slowly deteriorate until a couple months later, when it would start to smell like cat piss...

Switched to Cim-Cool after that. Results were pretty good until it would start to leave a grease-like coating all over the inside of the machine and toolholders. The machines are all oil lubed, not sure where the waxy grease coating came out of.

Hocut has been working much better than the last two. Part of me kinda wishes we still used trimsol?

I love all these Harry Homeshop fixes..Ya'll cook meth as a hobby ?

For "professionals", what happens when you complain of bad tool life to your coolant supplier, and they
pull a sample of your "Mixture" ?

"Well sir, your running BlasterLÜb in the proper concentration, but we can't figure out just HOW
Peruvian Yak spoog got into your coolant tank....Oh, and by the way, better have your operator
drug tested, the THC level in the coolant was over the legal limit"....:crazy:

I don't see the problem. I've tried these - https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...ditives-Treatments-Test-Strips?navid=12107402

both anti-foaming products and odor tablets

didn't work

I would try peroxide if I ever run into that problem. My guess is the OP was not in a big shop and is not going to be going to his tool rep about tool life... The people who are doing that are likely using high end coolants and/or specific coolants for certain materials, but that is just a semi-WAG...

We ran a lot of metal spray which turned to sludge in the bottom of the sump. I think that had a lot to do with how much bacteria was in there even when everything was cleaned really well between coolant changes.

THIS.. is still pretty new in the biology field, but... papers covering discoveries are out there that nano-particles - Nickel one of the more interesting ones - affect how elements and compounds arrange themselves. Outer-valance electron shell thing - much as why Silver can split O2 into nascent O just because the atoms line-up a certain way.

So.. some organisms can crack seawater into O2 and H with very MUCH less energy that lab electrolysis expected. Similar things are being noted as to reaction to light, with artificial photosynthesis being demonstrated.

Nano-particles, again.

Another five to ten years before commercialization, if-even, but there is hope that stuff more useful than stinky coolants can come of it.

:)

Back